Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Motor problems
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Motor problems
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
The Service Advisor at Bridgeway Cummins commented that my mediocre power could be caused by a fuel solenoid not fully opening. Like the water temp sender I may or may not need, the fuel solenoid is easily accessible and relatively inexpensive. So, who knows, maybe after replacing it I will be able to cruise at 80 ;^) But seriously, I will be completely satisfied if I can cruise while towing 60-65 as the Yales did. Eager to have Bridgeway address the two issues at their shop tomorrow.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
moved from Barth Journeys to Tech Talk
quote:
Originally posted by Deb&Eds35:
ON THE ROAD AGAIN! ... Thanks Bill
You're welcome Ed. mechanic
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
The Service Advisor at Bridgeway Cummins commented that my mediocre power could be caused by a fuel solenoid not fully opening.
Just ask Tom & Nancy Johns about that.

Click here to read about their related issue... Cat has a problem

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
If my poor power is due to the hold-up winding of the fuel solenoid, I will consider the "Larry B's Super Solenoid" from Fostertruck.com
The solenoid seems to be functioning properly for initial lift and for immediate shutdown. There is an adjusting nut on the plunger. Shortening the throw might be all that is needed. If the hold-up winding were open, I doubt I could get to 60mph at all. After leaving Lloyd Bridges Traveland with a fresh fuel filter. I was able to hold 60 on flat ground, but expect that might diminish when I start pulling a trailer with my MINI on it. Or is there enough torque in the 5.9 that towing 4K won't make a difference?

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
The solenoid seems to be functioning properly for initial lift and for immediate shutdown.
On the 5.9L and 8.3L Cummins your solenoid has external linkages and stops that you can see. Turn on key and watch to see if it retracts fully against the stops. If the solenoid has 3 wires, you'll have to slightly bump the key (like you're starting it, but don't) to get the solenoid to retract.

You might want to use a wire tie or bailing wire and hold it all of the way retracted - go for a test drive and see if you have more power.

Also, check throttle travel... Again, you can see where the full fuel stops are. Have someone hold down the throttle pedal (engine not running and key on) and make sure that you have full travel from the idle stop to the full travel stop.

On a 3208 Cat and an 8.2L Detroit the shutdown plunger is all internal. You'll have to remove it to see if it retracts fully.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
If you have no modifications to the original drive train of your Breakaway, then 60 is about tops on level ground. You might be able to get it up to 65 with a wind behind you or downhill.
Towing on "flat terrain" should not be a problem. It is when you go up any incline. I never had a problem towing 5,000 lbs. with the 190HP 5.9 with a 4 speed Allison trans on flat terrain. But getting over a steep bridge or hill was a bit of an adventure. Not that I couldn't do it, it just put a lot of strain on that set up and I was chugging by time I hit the crest. Mind you, I did not have any modifications to the original drive train. Key advice---Keep an eye on engine and trans temp when towing!!!
p.s. Sorry for the thread drift...

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Be aware on the 8.3 that many of the earlier years have solenoids that were known too weak. The later replacements are much larger.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post