Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Water Valve Solenoid
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Water Valve Solenoid
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted
I know it's not the flux capacitor. I found that last summer. Whatever this is, it is leaking a LOT of water...

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
This is an electrical water valve. (solenoid) They are often used for the auto fill feature for the water tank. Allows the tank to fill from city water without using a hose outside. Might have frozen, now leaking?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
Yep.... Electric water valve... Mine is next to water tank under couch..( for those of you who wonder )..(92 breakaway).... Hose screws on outside and valve is controlled from panel above entrance door.... ( labeled "auto fill")... Alarm sounds and shuts off water flow when tank full...also, near electric valve is a manual valve that drains tank for winterizing...

Posts: 108 | Location: harrisonburg va | Member Since: 06-14-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The ones I've seen are actually LPG solenoid valves.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
Keith, I just replaced my auto fill valve, which as Rusty mentioned is a LPG solenoid valve. Here is a picture of the new valve which is an exact replacement for the old valve. This is the address and phone number. 3232 S Nordic Rd, Arlington Heights, IL 60005 (847) 437-2345

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
Hey HEY! That's what I needed thanks.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
We apparently don't use the same valve. I have disassembled the valve, now soaking it in white vinegar per offline help. It really doesn't look that bad inside. I'm still not clear on what this valve does...is there supposed to be a way to hook to city water without connecting the water inlet hose?

While I'm sorting this out, can I just plug the line for the time being so I can use water in the coach?

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
1. A way to fill your water tank without a hose and the outside filler tube. You just open that valve and water runs from your main system into the tank. Mine has a manual shut off in the line next to it.

2. Yes, should work fine. Just have to fill water tank from out side.

This is not gospel but it applies to my coach, and yours as well I believe.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A sensor cuts power to the valve when the tank is full, and the valve closes.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
The way this system did works on our coach and most likely yours. When city water is connected all faucet,showers and toilets have city pressure. When the Tank Full Switch is turned on at the console it activates the valve to fill water tank. Sensor on water tank drops power to valve when full.

This valve being intended for gas instead of water will lime up and either not open (no fill) or stick open (over fill tank when on city water). I replaced ours with a manual ball valve and did away with the auto fill. Just have to keep an eye on it when filling tank. Tank sensor going bad can also keep tank from filling or let it over flow.

Yours leaking May be cracked from freezing and need valve replaced.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
I had to replace my auto fill valve. Mine does not automatically shut off but it does have an alarm inside to coach when the tank is full. It allows you to fill the tank and to use water at the same time. My alarm is rather high pitched and I have difficulty hearing it.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
OK guys very helpful. I think I understand what it does and how it is supposed to work. I think the valve stuck open then overfilled the tank. I manually drained the tank and it took a LONG time.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
I may try to use this solenoid, used on some of your coaches, instead of trying to fix/replace the original on mine. I need the name and source of the adapter(s) from solenoid to female 1/2 inch connector. Home Depot and Lowes close with brass parts but not quite right. Maybe these are standard RV parts store things?

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
Solution:

<1> Soaked original solenoid in vinegar and disassembled with vice...severely corroded with erosion through brass cylinder...cylinder could not move; not available for ten years
<2> Bought solenoid recommended by RainCatcher
<3> The tough part...found right reducer to connect 1/4 inch pipe thread females on solenoid to 1/2 inch male adapters
- Home Depot and Lowes have at least 2,056 brass adapters but NOT this one
- Found it Amazon
<4> Hooked it up, wired it up...works!

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
The correct reducer...

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat