Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    MCC and pre-1986 Regencys on the RPI (MCC) Chassis
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

MCC and pre-1986 Regencys on the RPI (MCC) Chassis
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
Thanks to Les and Christopher Haugland there have been parts avaiable for brakes, suspension, axles and other chassis parts for these coaches.

As many of you owners have found you can get some (but not all) parts elsewhere and the prices frankly may be a little better if you can find them.

Then when you need a rotor, axle shaft, spin dle, or differential you go to Les. I would encourage you all to go to Les for your parts even if it is a part you can get else where because it is these parts that make it economical to continue supplying the parts you can't get elsewhere.

Les tells me that at one time anyone who had an MCC chassis would automatically come to MHR. But the new owners are going elsewhere so it is becoming harder for him to finance the manufacture of the specialty parts.

Also there will be a shortage in the future of differentials. So if anyone hears of a wreck or cannibalized MCC make Les or Chris are aware of that.

Finally, it is very important that MCC owners check and lubricate all chassis parts as least once a year including wheel bearings. These coaches are overweight....so to make sure your parts last as long as you can keep them lubricated.

Les has been a dedicated FMC and MMC supplier for almost 25 years, and when you bought your MCC you knew that you were getting something special with special requirements. So it is to your advantage to make sure that MHR stays around for a long time. So even if you need a license plate frame give Les or Chris a call.

Many of you know that Les has been ill recently. Let us all keep this gentleman in our prayers.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, when you say these MCC coaches are overweight what does that mean? Thanks Jerry

Posts: 15 | Location: Godfrey, IL, US | Member Since: 07-27-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
The original FMC chassis carried much less weight. When they Built the Barth coach the actual weight was in fact about 1,000 lbs over the combined weight rating. Barth did come up with a front spring system to enhance the front suspension which the MCC owners had to buy. Not all did.

This is were Les comes in because he upgraded every thing from rotors to the leading arm suspension systems to handle the additional weight.

Les tells me that while driving the first one to an RV show the axle broke. That is why Les builds the axle shafts that he does.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited May 04, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I bought my MCC Regency the place I was buying it from in Buffalo, NY, broke one of the stub-axles. They tried to gun it with the brake set. They repaired it (for free) and didn't know of Les and MHR. They found the part through a truck parts distributor in Chicago, and paid three times what Les charges for his! I have bought a spare, and an axle seal, from Les, under the theory that: "if you've got it and carry it with you you'll never need it". Well, we'll see. Those stub-axles are the ONE weak item for these differentials. Some factory manufactured ones have been known to snap. Les' are made from better stock and are stronger than stock. Even still, though, manmy stock unit have never broken in hundreds of thousands of miles. Don't let Dave scare you, nothing else is a major problem on this chassis. This differential is just like a Corvette rear but with ultra-smooth torsion bars. The gearbox is bolted to the frame and the disk brake is out at the wheel. Rides really nice. Certainly better than any but the newest air ride units they replaced the MCC chassis with. The differential is a Rockwell, and the gear set and seals are readily available, and will probably be forever. The housing is unique. but will realistically never fail, unless you drive over something stationary at speed, like a big rock... and if that happens it will probably be more than just the differential you need to worry about! Seriously, differentials never fail, unless you let them run dry. Or try to take off with the parking brake set! Just don't do that.

What Dave is talking about with the weight is not a front axle issue as much as it is a brake issue. The front spring replacement that Les offers is NOT to correct some engineering problem... the original one is just fine, and plenty strong. Les' upgrades improves the already fabulous ride to just cadillac smooth. Literally. Seriously, you just have to ride in one of these to understand. I researched mine before I bought it, and spoke with an owner of an early 90's Regency who replaced their MCC unit. They said the new coach was "like riding in a truck" by comparison. With the MCC, they could be driving down the highway pouring wine at the table, no drops! Not in the new one.

The suspension itself handles the weight in this coach just fine, but the brakes are typical GM 13" big truck calipers. The disks are made by Les, true, but the originals can last 100,000 miles if you service them. They stop just fine, but are, indeed, a bit undersized for this coach. If you've ever driven a semi and know about weight and braking you'll not have any problems. I wouldn't tow a toad without auxillary brakes on it, though, and that's not a bad idea anyway because more and more states are beginning to require it. Les engineered a 15" brake kit that stops better, but I have not thought it necessary. Just don't expect this to stop like a car. I can tell you my stock 84' MCC Regency sure brakes better than my P30 Winnebago ever did. That P30 had disks up front only.

Les, like us all, will pass some day, we all hope he will not go soon. I just got out of a two-day cardiac-unit ordeal... a wake up call for sure. Les' son, though, is prepared to continue the business, so I wouldn't worry about parts. Dave is right, one should buy stuff from Les simply because he's a treasure to have around. The parts are very reasonably priced. Those who disagree want stuff for nothing, I think... just try to spec out a brake disk unit for a Prevost! Les is reasonable. I'd reccommend the everyone buy one stub axel and carry it with you. Cheap insurance. Can be replaced by a shade-tree in a few hours... IF you've got the parts!

DO give Les a call... you'll find that all of his engineering improvements were made NOT because of faults, but because they made an already great system better.

BARTH did not stop making this chassis because it was bad... just the opposite... they stopped because they were in the COACH building business, and economics made sense to buy already existing chassis.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Very well said, I agree entirely. I have talked to many MCC owners and I have never met an unhappy owner. I think the 35 foot size is just right and what can you say about the floor plan other than it is perfect for a 35 foot coach.

I know that in the past that by sharing with some the parts situation it has been perceived that I was bad mouthing the coach or discouraging folks from buying an MCC chassis. Nothing could be more from the truth. I would love to have a 35RD but I am not a shade tree mechanic. I pay to have bulbs changed so for me and others like me this coach may not be the best choice.

I have often said that the folks who own MCC's are the same people who own MG's. The truth is you would be suprized how many MCC owners own MG's.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited May 05, 2004).]

posted Hide Post
Right you are! Thank God there are no LUCAS electronics in an MCC coach!

Regardless the MCC parts availability issue, there has recently been some consolidation in the coach chassis business, Freightliner gobbled up Deere, I think, after Deere had gobbled up someone else... and I know we all are aware of how corporate america likes to tout efficiency... and I've heard that some parts for these newer "now recently discoutinued" chassis are no longer being made. My point is that many owners of many different 10+ year old chassis makes are in the same boat.

Just keep them maintained, and you'll be fine.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any I also meant any shade tree, not just me. If you have the part, the guy in the next town can fix it. Or you can get it next day from LES, via FedEx.

posted Hide Post
The reality is: how often do you need a rotor, axle shaft, spindle, or differential... unless you did not maintain the components to start with? Rotors (any) can last almost indefinitely if you service the pads and calipers properly. Axle shafts are a known weak spot, but Les and MHR can supply replacements that won't break for around $300.00 each. Spindles? They should last for more than half a million miles... if the bearings (available anywhere) that are on them are not allowed to dry out... differentials will also last forever, and even if they don't the bearings and gears and seals are standard items, available at any Rockwell servicing truck or bus maintenance shop... which means just about anywhere.

The worst thing about these coaches is not that they are MCC but that they are 20 years old. Hey, even the '86 and up Gillig chassis need the same kind of maintenance. If you don't maintain them, you break parts and have a huge repair bill. Certainly as big as any you would get for your MCC chassis coach. An hour of labor is an hour of labor. You often need to wait a day or more for a part, the MCC situation is no worse than that. It's better, actually, because LES will ship you the part on Sunday. Your mechanic will have it Monday, you'll be on the road Tuesday. Now if you need a part from Detroit Diesel or Cat, you'll have to wait 'till Monday just to order it...

All of the other chassis parts... air system, the brake hydraulics, the calipers, the brake pads, the shocks... are all available at your local NAPA or truck parts store.

So don't worry about it. If you are an owner of ANY 10-20 year old vehicle you need to be aware that you need to keep up the PM. Let something dry out, you break it. Maintain it properly, it will last almost forever.

posted Hide Post
And the MG analogy is not really appropriate. The MCC chassis is reliable, not a "Tinker Toy" like an MG is. You DON'T need to tweak it daily just to keep it running. the mechanical stuff is industry standard... Detroit or Cat and Allison. You DO need to schedule maintenance. Easy stuff. Keep those calipers lubed, wheel bearings greased, etc. But wouldn't you do that with any coach? The labor to have a shop do that costs the SAME for an '86 or newer Gillig chassis coach, people...

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Hey guys- Yes we need to support Les & Christopher. Les is a true gentleman and will (with authority) honestly answer questions and give advice on the MCC coaches. He will (or did) send out a small flyer on parts and info on the MCC's. I think this guy knows more about the MCC Barths than Mr. Barth(ok! maybe not more but he sure knows how to improve any parts that need it). He is never to busy to answer a question and help you.
I snapped a stub-axle and he shipped out the parts right away. I bought shocks from him that made the MCC ride like a Cadillac and just recently some steering parts which helped it not to wander as it had a badly worn bushing.
Dave- your right about the "pm" on these or in fact any coach.
Chris- hope your ok- yes it does wake one up to whats really important in life.
But now- both of you guys- come on- MCC Barth owners owning MG's. Well.... I must confess, Yes I have a 1965 MG midget I am trying to restore (possibly would make a great toad !?!?!?).
My wife fixed up the inside of the Barth like a party bus with all kinds of decorations of sea critters, palm trees and island things for my granddaughters birthday. We surprised her and took our two daughters and the grandkids to SeaWorld in Orlando. We had nine people and two babies in the Barth with all kinds of snacks in the frig. It drove like a Cadillac and not a drop of any drink was spilled. Oh yes - about the brakes- Chris is right and does just like I do-- don't outdrive your ability or that of your vehicle. That applys to anything you drive.

Jim & Barb 1985 Barth MCC Det.8.2 35ft.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ARGGGH! An MG owner! I was going to confess to Dave that I once owned a JAG... (I know, not much better than the MG... still had LUCAS electrics!) I guess I'd MUCH rather think of my MCC as "The XJS of Motor Coaches!"

But I apologize for sometimes not being civil. I am STILL (at 48) learning how to "disagree without being disagreeable".

Ive recently discovered Motor Home Restoration's new web site. While it is still a young site, it seems clear to me that they are not going anywhere. I'm sure not going to loose any sleep over some phantom "future parts availability problem"...

http://www.humanspan.com/uploads/archives/3945/site/top.asp?pagenumber=41570

posted Hide Post
OK, here's the HOPEFULLY final scoop on parts availability for the MCC/RPI Barth coaches.

In light of the rancor that has surrounded this subject, I must preface this post by saying that I don't think Dave Bowers would purposefully publish incorrect information, or information determined through inuendo, not facts, but that is indeed what has happened.

Dave is mistaken about any notion that MCR would "stop providing parts" for any MCC/Regency, next year or any year, period. Dave must have mis-read his notes or something, because that is not nor has it ever been the position of MCR. Please contact MCR to set your own mind at ease on this point if you need further confirmation about this.

I spoke with Leslie at Motor Coach Restorations today (May 10th. 2004) and his health is improving, but, like us all, he will pass someday. We hope not any time soon.

The business, however, will go on regardless any personal issue with Les. The business is quite viable (see the growing web-site) and will remain in the hands of his son, Christopher, who is officially a 50% owner. This is truly a family business, and it seems to me that they will be around for the long haul. They own the tooling and have all the prints for any of the unique parts, and intend to continue manufacturing every unique part for the Barth MCC (Regency) Motor Coach, because, the parts we all seem so concerned about (see the other posts) fit the "pre-Barth MCC coaches" as well.

These coaches are not prone to any more maintenance issues than any other type of "large frame", older Diesel Pusher motor coach. Ask anyone who owns one (please). There is ONE part that has been known to fail for a design reason, that is, reasons other than lack of maintenance, but that part has been re-engineered, and for a few hundred bucks you can install the new part and cruise with confidence. MCR has made improvements to a few of the other suspension parts, but not to correct any engineering defect, but only because they are tinkerers and found ways to make worthy improvements.

Please review my posts on this and other forums on this website for information and discussions about keeping this or any older BARTH coach on the road.

I personally think, with the prices of these coaches (seemingly) more depressed than they should be in relation to other slightly newer Regency's (for whatever reason), that they offer an astounding value, even for the person who does not do his or her own mechanical work. You can buy an '83-'85 MCC Regency for 10-20k less than an '86-'90 GILLIG Regency, give a few thousand to MCR for a few improvements, and get a coach that is (arguably) a far superior product, something that rides and handles like a luxury coach, not a greyhound bus.

Please remember the obvious, that ANY older coach can suffer from lack of maintenance, so each one requires individual scrutiny prior to any purchase. Just please rest assured that the MCC/RPI platform is not flawed by either design or the passage of time.

Respectfully submitted,
Chris Dutro
84 RPI/MCC Regency 35'