Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    One serious RV fire - and tips to prevent it.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

One serious RV fire - and tips to prevent it.
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have been using absorption reefers (designed by Servel 100 yrs ago) for many years, boats, RVs, camps. They are no more dangerous than any other device which burns LP with an open flame. Nearly all fires can be traced to flue problems, which are usually plugged up by critters or debris. They have no moving parts and with normal maintenance they will last almost forever.

This is just another wakeup call for all of us to BE SURE TO CHECK THESE THINGS! Like brakes, gas tanks, fuel hoses, LP tanks, hoses and dryer lint they can bite you if you don't take care of them. This is one of the reasons I changed my dipstick to the shorter one. I have to open the doghouse to check oil and then I LOOK AROUND! confusion

My friend had one in his camp and the squirrels filled the flue completely with acorns! Just keep em clean!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5194 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
Here is some good information for y'all to read. Interpret it as you may, it is somewhat technical. In my opinion this is a serious issue and one should heed the problem but I also believe it is manageable if proper precautions and inspections are done.

Part 1

Part 2

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Excellent info. It appears the corrosion is fairly severe on most of those pictured. If I had that much crust anywhere on my unit I would open it up and COMPLETELY inspect! confusion

Heads up for those in coastal or corrosive climates.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5194 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post