Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Furnace issue
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Furnace issue
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
As some of you may remember back in March/April I had to change out my old furnace after noticing that my eyes were bothered a bit after the furnace would start, well I took the old furnace apart to salvage the good parts, motor, PCB control board, etc. and then took a look at the plenum, what I found was totally shocking! There was a huge hole in the plunem, this could have lead to a fire or worse--death--

If you notice any signs of irratation, look in to it immediately! I had no indications of CO or propane but this could have gotten really bad!

Happy New Year to all!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
And THAT is why I will not use a furnace in an RV. I wonder if a digital CO detector would tell anything. You know, a slight increase in the reading, but no alarm. Ours is pretty sensitive.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a pilot I carry a digital CO detector which will work to 10 PPM, even that did not show an appreciable amount of CO in the RV, eye irration was caused by HC. I am less afraid of the furnace in an RV then I am of the heater system in light aircraft. Propane fired furnaces do generate some CO but not nearly as much as a piston engine does and the furnace components are made of SS in the first chamber (where the failure occured) just as the cuffs on the aircraft mufflers. Only difference is the aircraft system is usually inspected annually

This is the model that I use and is only one of many aircraft type digital CO detectors and will detect to levels below 10 PPM. I even put these in our apartments that have rooms below ground level.
digital CO detector

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I pressure checked my plane's heater every year for cracks. I wonder if that could be easily done on an RV heater.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could probably use a smoke generator similar to the one I use for checking intake manifolds for leaks, in any event, a complt disasembly of the burner section would be required to get at the input to the plenum.

I think a better way is to have it tested by a fire dept for any unusual gas content in the heater output, HC, CO, CO2 and Nox are very easy to test for. Should have none of those gases in the hot air outlet when running but would have if a crack developed.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
I think a better way is to have it tested by a fire dept for any unusual gas content in the heater output, HC, CO, CO2 and Nox are very easy to test for. Should have none of those gases in the hot air outlet when running but would have if a crack developed.

Are there testers available that an RV owner could take with him that would do that?

Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
I would think your local fire station would be a great place. Our neighbor loves to have folks check out anything in the house , if it will save a life. JKB 88 Regal 28' 454 JKB

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post