Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Neutral safety switch
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Neutral safety switch
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
My intermittent starting problem has finally settled into a consistent failure mode. It now requires that I move the gearshift in and out of park while I attempt to start it, which would indicate a failing neutral start switch.

I am informed the part was discontinued in 1995. The number is 1994212, but some dealers may still have it. I am off to buy one and will inquire as to their inventory if anyone is anticipating such a need.

84 gasser.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I'm new to the board and have purchased a 1985 28' P-30 454 Barth. It to has a starting problem. It usually occurs after the engine has been running and then shut off. I usually turn the key a few times and it works. Is this the same problem you have been having? If so let us know if your new part works.

Thanks, Ronnie

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Ronnie,

Thank you for visiting the site. I too have a 1985 28 foot Regal, great coach isn't it.

I would bet my woven wood shades that you have a hot starter problem. There 454's get hot and the starter is right near that big beast. An heat shield is required. This is common on your coach and others like it. I have a PDF file on this from Chevy and where to put the heat shields. Send me your email and I will email it to you.

Click on the letter logo just about this post to send me an email.

Dave

------------------

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I'll e-mail you when I get home. I have been visiting this site every day and have learned a lot of things about my Barth. You and all of the members are very knowledgeable. I have read about the starter heat problem and that could be the problem. Sometimes it does it before I start the engine so I thought it might be in the ignition switch. Sometimes when the engine has been running and I restart it the starter turns slow (heat problem)so I hit the auxillary battery and it starts.

Thanks,
Ronnie

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Well actually Ron, it may be something else. I think the hot start problem symptoms is that you turn the key and it is dead for a second to a few minutes.

------------------

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Ronnie, here is a link to an earlier post of mine on heat problems in the engine campartment:

https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000225.html

These intermittent things can be frustrating until they fail enough to trouble shoot them. The best technique for your problem is to make a hot light that draws fairly high current. A meter or a standard hot light does not draw enough current ot detect a poor connection. I use both filaments of an 1157 bulb.

Connect one lead to ground and the other to various connections in the chain from the ignition switch to the starter.

There is a cad plated Ford type relay (some call it a solenoid) in the start circuit mounted on the right hand radiator support that sometimes fails. It should click when the ignition switch is moved to start. It should also, of course, pass current when it clicks. One big terminal is hot and the other should be hot when the start circuit is energized. If it does not click, see if one of the small terminals is hot when start is attempted.

It is always a good idea to remove, clean and reassemble every connection. Pay particular attention to the start terminal on the starter solenoid. It really does need that Belleville washer.

I like to run a ground from a starter mounting bolt to the frame, or even to where the battery negative bolts to the frame. A toothed lock washer between the lug and the surface helps, too. After all are tight, shoot a little LPS 3 on each connection to prevent corrosion.

And, as before, if nothing happens when you attempt to start, hold the switch in "start" with your right hand and move the gearshift in and out of park and neutral. If that helps, the neutral safety switch is the culprit.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Thanks for the information. I'll start trouble shooting soon.

Thanks,
Ronnie

Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I got your e-mail with the files. Very good info on starter and heat. Thanks for the help.

Ronnie