Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Barth Preservation & Barth Scrapping
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Preservation & Barth Scrapping
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted
Hi,
It's my opinion that the Barth design, by virtue of the rugged construction methods and related water shedding capabilities, is eventually going to give present the owner with problems that an SOB owner will not have to confront.

For instance, a guy I know had the side wall fall off his SOB while on the highway. Easy solution, junk the SOB.

That won't happen to a Barth, and unless the Barth meets an errant tri-axle dump truck or a falling redwood, then the issue comes down to money.

So I'd like a topic dedicated to hearing from guys who scrapped their Barths, and the reasons why. I'd also like to hear from guys who've taken measures to avoid scrapping their Barths.

From what I've seen and heard, these are the top items for preserving your Barth, feel free to discuss or add:
- be proactive with tire replacement
- keep the brakes in good shape, especially critical for the P30 Hydroboost system
- cloth tape may have been used to position the aluminum to the 1x1 steel framing downstairs, remove it to prevent enhanced rusting processes ( ask me how I know )
- keep a close eye on the roof vents, and repair or protect as needed to prevent water from entering

Right now my Barth is running great. I have it out most weekends to bring a son to quarter midget racing and tow a trailer. Keeping the rig on a schedule of activity is going to help it out.

Engine coolant temperatures are down, and there is no misfiring. Both matters used to be a concern, but I attribute the situation now to having replaced the fan clutch, and using Moroso plug wires with a 135 degree plug boot angle, and woven heat sleeves for the plug wires. (I am running Gibson headers) I think that the fan clutch should probably be replaced after a certain number of years anyway. It will fail in ways that aren't immediately obvious. With a P30 rig, and a trailer, I am going up hills on 80 degree days and not going over 210 degrees. I'd seen 240 in the past, with the old clutch and straight plug boot wires, and no trailer.

Take care of the cooling situation and that is going to keep the engine happy and hopefully avoid a catastrophe.

The thing I worry about also is the topic of "galvanic corrosion". I've seen this happen where aluminum and steel are secured together with rivets, especially where water might be present, like on the underside. Now I think I'd heard that structural engineers of bridges might specify an electrical connection to suppress corrosion. Is there something that can be used on a Barth to limit the harm done?

Has anyone rebuilt their Barth basements and shared info about this?

happy motoring!!!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 527 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
I'm asking about the cloth tape you mentioned, and how you removed yours. I'm a new Barth owner, well almost new. After going over my Barth checking it all out, I was so impressed how well it was built. However the only issue I have is the basement steel framing and the amount of rust on the steel. Other Barth owners have commented on the same issue. Some of my steel appears to have a coating on it that is coming off and exposing rust.

In earlier post other owners have mentioned cutting out some of the bad steel and fabricating in new pieces. They have added a barrier material between the aluminum skin and steel tubing.

By the way what is a SOB? ha ha other than the meaning I'm thinking of.

Tom

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Tom,

SOB means "some other brand" of motor home.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim

If it's not a Barth it's an SOB!

Tom

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
It's another Barthism

SOB: Some Other Brand ~ NOUN: duality - being twofold; a classification into two opposed parts or subclasses; "the dichotomy between a Barth and a SOB"

The vernacular SOB really is a nice way of dissing another motorhome with a play on words. The duality in meaning really makes most SOB a class unto itself.

Example: A Barth and a Newell are luxury coaches. A Winnie is a POS SOB. Any questions?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
alternative meaning: Something Other than Barth

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post