Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    P30 Diesel Engine and Trans.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

P30 Diesel Engine and Trans.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Here's some postal delivery trucks on P30 chasiss with diesel engines,auto trans.
Go to eBay motors, item # 2424363669
#2424273507 #2424279025 These might replace your gas model. Ask bill h he will know.

Posts: 20 | Location: Goodland, Fl ,USA | Member Since: 03-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are contemplating swapping out a gasser for a diesel, buying something like this and doing the swap is the best way, as you have all the little nickel-and-dime parts, wiring harnesses, glow-plug lights, dash bits, etc. You might have to cobble up an exhaust system, or perhaps snake Turbo piping (if you get a 6.5), but the rest of the job is just parts-swapping. Petty easy for the mechanically inclined... I know that in GM light and medium duty trucks the wiring harness for the engine connects to the block on the firewall exactly like the gas rigs. Unplug the gas one, pull the engine, drop in the diesel, plug it in, turn the key, it starts... well, not quite that easy but pretty darn close. I've done it, and it's pretty painless. I don't know if the P30 chassis is wired in a similar fashion, but I'd suspect it is. You do have to run a return fuel line back to the tank, perhaps a new tank but not always. The only hassle is junking the shell after the swap, but that is more inconvenient than troublesome.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw these on ebay and thought some of the Barth owners with P30's might look at them. They sell for about 2,000. with 80 to 130 miles. They are well maintained with auto trans. Of the 3 only one 1 met the reserve, the others will be back on ebay maybe with
a lower reserve. So you P30 guy's get ready!!
KEN

Posts: 20 | Location: Goodland, Fl ,USA | Member Since: 03-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are they 6.2? 6.5? A well maintained 6.2 can run for 300,000 miles... 80,000 is nothing, really. 6.5's are even better, but the TURBO can cost a grand if it's a problem. All the parts do do a complete sway for around 2k? Wow. Potential there, all you wrenches...

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I've never looked at a BARTH P30 closely... can the engine come out the front? In a 80's P30 Winnebago the easiest way to swap an engine is to go THROUGH THE DRIVER'S DOOR!!! Yikes! Build a platform to put the engine crane on to sneak that big block through the door... Not a pleasant thought...

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I dropped my P30 engine out the bottom. Not too hard. Details on request.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, great! The winnebago frame rails were too narrow for that. Nice.

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I just noticed this topic. I hope it's not too late.

I have an '84 with the 6.2L diesel. It came that way. The engine was replaced at 50K due to a manufacturer's problem. I did not own it at the time. But, I was told that the windshield had to come out to allow for installation. Dropping it out the bottom seems like a challenge too.

I've not driven a gasser like this, but I'll assume that the diesel is louder than the gasser. Previous owner addressed some of the sound issues with lead lining in the "dog house". He added a lead sheet to the engine side of the access panel.

[This message has been edited by Mike Cropper (edited November 27, 2003).]

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I had to laugh when I saw this sentence verbatim in one of the ads:

Bid with confidence. We are the United States Postal Service Vehicle Maintenance Facility located in Boston, MA. This vehicle is part of a national fleet and has been regularly maintained. VEHICLE CAN NOT BE DRIVEN. Vehicle has a Siezed Engine. For further information, please contact Nelson Rodrigues at 617-348-2118. Please note - we are a government facility and are unable to respond to telephone calls and emails on weekends and federal holidays. Thank you for your patience

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I am sure that "regularly maintained" by the postal service gives us all a feeling of security.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post