Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cummins Air Compressor
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cummins Air Compressor
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
The air compressor on my (92 Regency) Cummins, 6CTA, 8.3 liter, 300 HP engine is wearing out. It shares the engine oil for lubrication and is now allowing oil to slip by the piston and is pushing small amounts of the oil into the air system. My mechanic says he has seen this frequently and wants $1400 to install a rebuilt compressor.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this issue. Can I pull the compressor myself and rebuild it? I am a good mechanic, but have limited specialty tools and no lift/jack to lower and replace the compressor. Any thoughts?

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goodwinw:
The air compressor on my (92 Regency) Cummins, 6CTA, 8.3 liter, 300 HP engine is wearing out. It shares the engine oil for lubrication and is now allowing oil to slip by the piston and is pushing small amounts of the oil into the air system. My mechanic says he has seen this frequently and wants $1400 to install a rebuilt compressor.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this issue. Can I pull the compressor myself and rebuild it? I am a good mechanic, but have limited specialty tools and no lift/jack to lower and replace the compressor. Any thoughts?

Bill G

I don't have an answer (Sorry!) but a question: how did this manifest itself? Did oil show up someplace or...?
Thanks.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
This is a commom thing that comes with wear. It usually shows up in the air reservior tanks when you drain them it has sludge mixed with the moisture. Keep your tanks dained daily when in use.Don't know for sure but $1400 sounds like alot. Call a Cummins dealer and ask for a rebuilt price. On the NTC models was bolted on left assy. drive Weighs no more than 100lb.

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
I noticed I had a problem when the purge valve popped off and left an oil spot on the driveway. The oil has not yet migrated to the air storage tanks. Everything is working well, I just don't like it when I know that a problem exists.

I agree that $1400 sounds expensive. That is why I posted here. I would like a less expensive option. I would rather spend the $$ on camping. I am going to check with my local Cummins dealer on the repair.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"I noticed I had a problem when the purge valve popped off and left an oil spot on the driveway."

Different part of this problem: With modern Cummins Diesels as yours, is it still necessary to drain the air storage tanks regularly? I've not seen this addressed, but mine "dumps" air often while idling, and I assume this prevents water building up???
And will this dump any oil that has accumulated, preventing it from entering air lines??

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:
"I noticed I had a problem when the purge valve popped off and left an oil spot on the driveway."

Different part of this problem: With modern Cummins Diesels as yours, is it still necessary to drain the air storage tanks regularly? I've not seen this addressed, but mine "dumps" air often while idling, and I assume this prevents water building up???
And will this dump any oil that has accumulated, preventing it from entering air lines??
That "Dumps" you hear while idling is the purge valve which popped off at about 120lb you cannot hear it while you are driveing down the road but it does it!I or my mech drain both of my tanks regular and the mech put some kind of LUB stuff in the system one a year!

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Barth Regency 34ft. 8.3 Cummins 300 hp.
Spartan K2 MM.

[This message has been edited by bubbiebarth2 (edited March 01, 2005).]

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
On trucks there is a air dryer and the system and every time the compressor cycles and shuts off you will hear a poof of air and moistures expells to the ground this will also expell some oil if the compressor is worn. Still a good idea to open drain till air gets clean. Just saw a ad for rebuilt compressor for the NTC model..$239 exchange.

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
I dump my air tanks regularly and have never had moisture or oil come out. My concern with the wear on my compressor is not severe, as the amount of oil expressed at any particular time is not a lot. It is however; collecting underneath my coach as the spray washes back while driving. Initially my mechanic thought my fuel tank was leaking until I explained what was happening with the purge valve.

The Barth is still stored away for a few more weeks while winter winds down. When I get her home, I'll dig into this problem more thoroughly as the $1400 repair cost seems excessive. More details to follow.

Creep Crawler, where did you see the rebuilt compressor advertised?

Bill G

[This message has been edited by goodwinw (edited March 03, 2005).]

posted Hide Post
For $1400.oo I'll fly up there rent a car change teh compressor with a exchange unit from your local big truck dealer( NAPA,Truck parts dealer) and fly home. and still make a good day's wages. $1400 is about $900 too high to do this job. Any way a lot of times a dirty air cleaner will cause the same thing. Try taking the intake hose off the compressor and see if it is wet.Next check the air intake system. On my trucks the compressor runs about500,000 miles before anything gets done. I'm sure that there is some type of restriction causing it to use oil. If you need mor info contact me Bill

Posts: 25 | Location: Belle Vernon Pa. | Member Since: 11-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1400 may sound high for a rebuilt but I just paid $1800 to have a new compressor installed. I was "told" by a Cummins dealer in Rock Springs Wyominng where I was towed since I had no breaks, that he could do a rebuilt for about $1400 but since the labor was going to be $900 regardless I chose to go with a new compressor. I had the same problem you are all talking about here but somehow some water got into the line and apparently froze causing the pressure to build up and blow the head gasket so I'm told. When you're in the road what can you do. I wish I would have had your number Lancer, you would have had the job. I obviously suggest having the lines drained regularly. Now I'm working on wheel bearings!

Posts: 75 | Location: Wyoming, MI USA | Member Since: 05-01-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the wrong business. I need to pack up my tools, put them in a trailer, and repair motor homes///////// Just yesterday my Foster child who now lives in Florida called with a air suspension problem. They were at a dealership there and checked everything front to bace (on a SOB.) couldn't find anything. The leveling valve screen had dirt in it not letting air go through. took about 10 minutes to figure out what was wrong over the phone. They charged them $500.00 to clean the screen and I told them what was wrong and i'm in PA. Lancer

Posts: 25 | Location: Belle Vernon Pa. | Member Since: 11-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Lancer,

My coach goes the the Cummins shop near me on April 4th to have the problem checked out. If they still also want $1400 to fix the problem, you can come visit, live in the Barth, make the repair and go home with a good profit.

You are right, the shops that repair RV's have a high labor rate. I guess that is because they perceive RV owners to be wealthy.

Bill G

Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
Lancer, are not the leveling valves the same as on 18 wheelers? about 50-$75 about 1hour to take off and replace, or on the road I used to take off and clean with some starter fuild if nothing else available Another pretty simple job!

posted Hide Post
Yup your exactly right. Like I said before I'm in the wrong business.