Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Awning Bracket Repair
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Awning Bracket Repair
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of jer711
posted

Hopefully I upload this photo correctly. The forward awning support leg bracket has pulled out of the side of the coach. Based on what I can see, this is above the floor line, but likely directly in-line with the step/hump in the drivers compartment inside. Has anyone made this repair before? Any suggestions on making it simple, effective and relatively low cost? I could put possibly install a backplate, but it might be tight. I was wondering if I can drill out the two rivets, if it were possible to drill two long sheet metal screws? Otherwise, I was told there are some expanding rivets on the market which might work? The one's I looked at did not look like they were long enough. Appreciate the feedback.

~ 1990 - 32' Regency with 8.3 Cummins on Spartan Chassis ~

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Call Zipdee awnings. they have replacement rivets that spread out like a toggle bolt. Had a picture of one but can't find it.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Myself, I would really have it mounted into the floorline and I would use long carriage bolts for it. That is how I did mine.

Because you have it already installed, I believe the better course of action would be to go with a slightly larger diameter rivet.

Based on what I see here, you shouldn't need to call zipdee. Go to a body shop supplier or a nuts and bolts distributor and bring the bracket with you. Explain to them that you're going into .040 sheet aluminum but you'll need to clear the thickness of the lower bracket to bite into the .040 base aluminum.

Another thought would be to do what I did on my secondary support brackets. Basically, what I did was make up a support mounting bracket to lift my A-Arms up so I wasn't bumping into them all of the time.

I'll post pictures of this mod. I was hoping to do a writeup on it but now would be a good time to show it off. I'll snap a few tomorrow and post for our members to see.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I would install Nutserts which basically install a sealed nut into the aluminum. You will actually drill a larger hole that the rivet uses and once the Nutsert is inserted in the hole a bolt draws it up and seals it. They are used on many roof mounted racks.

Another possibility is to move the awning to the rear or front slightly. Remove the little lock screws on the upper C-rail along with the awning support brackets, then just slide the awning down the C-rail. Drill new holes and fasten. Cover the old holes with some self stick reflectors. I moved the awning on my old Barth to accommodate an Over the Door awning. Looked like it had always been that way.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I like Corey's idea on using a Nutsert for this setup. The trick is to get a good one that'll fit in tight. Too many of these Nutserts are made of junk.

Yesterday I mentioned that I made up a secondary mounting brace to give me more room. This allows me to walk around the awning area without bumping into my awning support braces. This gave me a lot of extra room for very little outlay of cash. The only thing I lost was the laughs we got from bumping into them. Big Grin

Here are a few pictures.

I made up the bottom aluminum mounting plates to make sure that I evenly distributed the load. I was also very close to vertical supports in the wall. Behind this brace is the good double sided tape we've talked about in the past. By using that tape it also gave me enough filler to use a wider aluminum plate.

In this photo I have 3 screws holding this one up. One behind the mount into the vertical wall support and 2 through the awning mounting ears.

Out of all the modifications I've done, this was by far the easiest and cheapest to do and it's given me the most bang for the buck. I have plenty of room to walk under these, even at 6'1", without it touching me head.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
I made up a secondary mounting brace to give me more room

Super idea Bill - I never thought of that...... Click Thumbs Up

Ya remember what ya paid for the extra mounting feet?
I'd need to mount them about 4" off C/L to catch a stud - think that'll still work?

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
My awning is an A&E. What kind of awning do you have? Can you supply pictures of your setup?

This guy has the lower brackets listed at a starting bid of 20.00 for a set Ebay

This Ebayer has over 10 of 'em at 11.00 each Ebay

I waited for awhile and I bid on a few different ones until I got it for cheap. I think I paid about $12.00 total, including shipping, a few months back. It's always cheaper around winter time.

If you have a ZipDee awning you might want to check out this setup that Nick had installed on his coach.

Slider Bar 3rd image down.
Allows you to raise the awning arms up to 24 inches higher to create additional space for free movement beneath the awning. No more ducking under or knocking your head.

Here is Nick's writeup on this. His does not appear to be on a support beam. ZipDee slide bars

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
The trick is to get a good one that'll fit in tight. Too many of these Nutserts are made of junk.

Which ones do you like, and which ones do you not like?

I use JB Weld when I put a nutsert on a critical area. That stuff really holds and seals on bare metal.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Which ones do you like, and which ones do you not like?
I don't know how to answer that... I've seen some crap that is like a nutsert and I wouldn't install it. I went back to the vendor and was given stronger ones. I would guess that they make different ones based on expected load. Maybe I should have said something with a wide bite on both ends???
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
I use JB Weld when I put a nutsert on a critical area. That stuff really holds and seals on bare metal.
Me too.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post

After getting some help from friends with more skills and tools than I have, we removed the bracket and found several holes and slightly "torn" looking aluminum so we decided to build a small aluminum back plate - pre-drilled into the side of the coach and two holes on each end appeared to hit metal beams in walls so we put screws in those and one rivet in top center. Then we put rivets through the bracket into the plate/wall. Put silicone on the back plate before screwing into position. This sure looks like a secure and sound method of re-attaching and cosmetically is not too bad. The back plate is about 1/8" thick so should not interfere with operation of the awning. If I weren't in a hurry, I would have had them help me with a matching plate for the other bracket too but so far it is secure looking (with two screws) so I did not want to push my luck with time and generosity of my friends and their equipment. Thanks for your help and suggestions. Preparing a trip to the Keys in one week!

~ 1990 - 32' Regency with 8.3 Cummins on Spartan Chassis ~

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post