Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Hippity-hop, Hippity-hop! Shocks are on the way!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hippity-hop, Hippity-hop! Shocks are on the way!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
I've had a chronic vibration in the rear wheels of StaRV II; the onset is sproadic, shoeing up at around 60 moph.

Several attempts at balancing have yielded no cure. The last-done "fix" was to replace the two right rear tires (which both showed signs of cupping at the same area of about 80°), but the vibration is still there. Like before, it comes and goes, and balancing beads didn't eliminate the issue.

The cupping on the two tires, being in the same place led me to move on from the rubber. Although Conrad (the PO) installed Bilsteins all around in '02, the symptoms mimic those of a shock failure. Since the rear brake pads were down to 1/4", I figured I'd replace the shocks as well when I take it in.

Shocks and pads should be here Wednesday.

Stay tuned.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
This might sound a little stupid Rusty, but have you ever checked the wheels for perfect roundness?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I've had a chronic vibration in the rear wheels of StaRV II; the onset is sproadic, shoeing up at around 60 moph.

My P30 does that, too. Right at 61 or 62, a cyclic vibration sets in. Sort of a tramp, going in and out at a little faster than 1 per second. New Bridgestones, Bilsteins and a balanced and rebearinged driveshaft made no difference.

This is not a matter of great concern, since CA has a 55 mph limit when towing, and 60 is about as fast as I like to drive a potato-chip truck, anyway.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
This might sound a little stupid Rusty, but have you ever checked the wheels for perfect roundness?

Checked for roundness (perfect) and runout - I replaced 1 wheel that had 3/16-1/4" runout a month before replacing the tires.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
Hi Rusty, Don't know if this will help you, but thought I would throw it out there for you. Have you ever heard of centramatic wheel balancers? I just went to there web sight, and they make these for motorhomes, looks like around $165.00 per axle. they make them for steer, and both drive axles. Here is the story on these. In the commercial truck industry, weve been using these for years now. Our semi is a 379 peterbilt, we had everything done in the world to the front end you can think of, alignment ,wheel balance, checked for worn parts etc. Could only get around 40 to 50 thousand miles on steer tires. Also had a noticiable vibration around 45 to 50 mph, could actually feel it in the steering wheel. After installing the centramatic wheel balancers, no vibration, last set of steer tires went well over 100,000 miles, and then moved on to trailer. The drive tires on our truck now are over three hundred thousand, and the wear pattern is normal, no cuping on the tires. might be something for you to check out.

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Good advice from Bill H on the 60mph. Those darn potato chips crumble into little pieces above that.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The rear tires have balancing beads, and that moderated the problem somewhat, but the vibration still comes and goes.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
The balancing beads you have mabee are like what the centramatic does then. We had are wheels balanced with the weights on the rims, and we tried the balancing compound that goes in the tires, none of which worked. We were told by many different shops,truck drivers, and centramatic that the weights only start to work and speeds over 45. The centramatic balancers keep a true balance through out the mph range. I know duel tires on a axle are hard to get balanced, and even harder with drum brakes!! Frowner

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The balance beads do the same thing as the Centramatic, and are much simpler. Disc brakes all around. Due to the local roads. I could only get up to 65 mph, but the problem is either much moderated or gone. The shocks (Bilsteins) were worn out (60+K miles). Brake pads were 1/8"-1/4".

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I used anti-freeze in my new tires when I installed them. About a pint per tire. Works for me.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Anti freeze is also popular as a stop-leak in farm and construction tires. Not being a chemist, I can only guess that it works by softening the rubber.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Actually works just like centramatic, Balance masters, and Equal (the stuff they put in the tires). In all cases the weight shifts to the light spots in the tire, therefore it is an active balancer.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post