Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Basement storage locks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Basement storage locks
 Login now/Join our community

The Old Man and No Barth
posted
FWIW - I just replaced all of my basement storage locks - an even dozen. Tried sources from previous Barthmobile posts without success. Finally got them from ECP Hardware, 1-800-442-3274.

They are Southco E3-35-35, @ $11.62 each, plus tax & shipping, total $164.12 for 12.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Are they the same as the original?

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Same product, later edition, 2 differences -originals were gray in color, these are black powder-coated. On the new ones, the shafts are larger, the nuts probably metric now. Otherwise, they plug right in where the old ones came out, use the same key, & work the same way.

Older keys were pot metal, & they wore, as did the lugs in the keyhole. When the old locks got stiff, the keys eventually slipped, and stopped working.

The later model keys are harder material, probably steel. I suspect the actuating mechanism may be harder metal, too. In any event, it's nice to have 12 locks where I can slip the key in, turn the lock, & forget the struggling, sweating & swearing.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Anyone got a source for these? Or know anything about them?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the locking devise used on Pepsi machines for years, but with a tumbler key lock.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thomfeit
posted Hide Post
Just replaced all 25 of my basement/engine access/etc. locks. Used the Southco locks. I however, selected the E3-32-35 double bitted head style. It does seem to have more ability to offer turning power. Just had to reuse the screws on several, since the new screws were 1/2 inch shorter than needed. Did the job in under 45 minutes.
It is so good to be able to quickly open a compartment door in 10 seconds or less.

thom

Posts: 44 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Member Since: 06-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
...regarding the original "gray-in-color" storage locks: Is there any way to get additional keys for the "original" locks???

My locks work fine at this point, but I only have ONE key and would hate to end-up in a situation where that ONE key becomes lost.

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
When I ordered the Southco replacements I also ordered a few extra keys and they are the same as the original except for a harder metal. I now have a mix of old and new locks which work with one key and a few spares.

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Southco will send you a couple keys free if you send them your UPS billing account numbers, so they can send it at no charge to them.
quote:

Hello Jack,

Thank you for contacting Southco's eService.

We would be more than happy to assist you in finding replacement keys for your
motorhome. We can send out 1 or 2 keys as a sample to you. We just ask that you
forward a UPS or Fed Ex account number to cover the cost of shipping. If you are in need
of more than 2 keys we can forward you a list of our Authorized Distributors. Please let
us know how you would like to proceed with obtaining the keys you need.

If we can be of further assistance, please address your reply to info@southco.com.
Southco eService can be contacted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Best Regards,

Tyreka Gibbs
Southco eService
Latches & Access Hardware
info@southco.com
www.southco.com

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Excellent information!

I will definitly be obtaining a couple more keys from this source.

Thanks allot to "shytm" & "Jack" for the research on this item!

Robin McCullough
1990 Regency

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Dave, I see you have the same bin locks I do. Got any idea who made them or what to do for replacements?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Bill as I recall, I took the number and I can not recall where I found it, and believe it or not I was able to locate them through a local lock smith. Now this isn't a guy who work out of his house and van, he has a store. But they were expensive enough that I wasn't going to change them just for the rust.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted Hide Post
Okay-we are looking for replacement basement locks and not having much luck....anyone replace theirs recently? And who did you buy from.
1985 Regal 30ft.

Thanks!!!

Posts: 77 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
If you have the round ones they are Southco. Try a search. If yours are rectangular like mine, they are probably Chicago (now CompX?)

Here's how I did them:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...873995477#5873995477

Here's where I got them:

http://www.mrlock.com/compx-ch...-handle%20ou-4260-6t

I wish we could find them in stainless, the new ones are the same as the old ones and do corrode.

I still have to finish repairing the doors… Oh well, sooner or later.

Good luck with your projects. mechanic Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Here's another good thread: https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...201059223#4201059223

I bought mine at http://www.ecph.com

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post