Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dashboard Lettering
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dashboard Lettering
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted
Over a year ago I had a post inquiring about freshening up the engraving on the dashboard. At Interstate speeds I had trouble locating the appropriate switch or knob when I took my eyes off the road. Unfortunatly the subject didn't get resolved.
I finally found a source of an instrument maker's crayon (a China Marker on stroids). I'm going to try and post some pictures showing the results. The supplier is
Johnson Plastic.com
Scroll down to "Contact US"
Pick a city closest to you (800 #)
Order a Scotts Paint Stick ($2.50)ea.+S/H
Colors available, Black G3BL,Blue G3BU,Gold G3GD,Green G3GR,Red G3RD,Orange G3RG,Silver G3SL,White G3WH,Yellow G3YW

BEFORE

AFTER

"THE TOY" 88 33'Regal SE Coach #3448

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited June 27, 2005).]

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Great results! Could we learn a bit more about how it was done? Is a steady hand and artists eye necessary? I definately want to do this to my coach.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Danny: There is a coating on the paint stick
(crayon),just scrape it with a knife blade, then rub over the engraved letters. Rub off the excess and presto you are done.....carl
P.S. If anyone uses silver,please post a pic.

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanx Carl, I can't wait to get this done. I'll let you know how mine came out.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carl, on your AFTER pictures there appears to be a haze of the white out from the actual markings. Is that because the marker entered the pores of the wood grain too? Maybe a little wax up to the letters would prevent such???? I am not picking on your work, and it may be a reflection I am seeing.

Nice info FOR SURE.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Carl,

I would like the info on where to get this crayon. I to have faded lettering.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Dale: There was a haze but I took the pictures too soon (kid at Christmas syndrome).Johnson Plastics advise you to remove any excess with mineral spirits,I used alcohol swabs. I think,in retrospect,I should have cleaned ALL of the dash before I started...............carl

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Hey Carl,

Great idea and it looks good ,however will it stay on in those cold Tn winters.
Just kidding.
Just sent you an e-mail today. Hope you get it.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the correct url is
http://www.johnsonplastics.com/
johnsonplastic.com is a different site - don't forget the "s"

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post