Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Hot starter -- an interesting possibility
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hot starter -- an interesting possibility
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have had a recurrent problem keeping the nut tight on the starter solenoid terminal. The result of this loose nut is an intermittant connection between the battery and alternator and ignition.

Bill h mentioned one time that a stud would stretch when heated --- could the excessive heat around the Chev 454 starter be the cause of the continued loostening of the nut on the starter solenoid?? Lock washers do not seem to solve the problem. Maybe a double-nut?

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Griz:

Yea the heat up and cool down thing will cause the nut to loosen.

Bill H suggested a star washer rather than a normal lock washer. I have done this but only have about 200 miles on the coach made up of four 50 mile trips; it has not loosened up yet.

As I think the bolt elongates lock-tight or the like may not be a solution either.

I wonder if the stud is long enough for two nuts to be used to hold the electrical connectors on tightened against each other but spaced a bit away from the plastic part of the starter. Griz, does this sound feasible or make sense?

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Gary, there is a Belleville washer for the start terminal on the solenoid. But, it sounds like you are talking about the large stud, since you mention alternator and battery connection.
I know of no Belleville washer for that application. I have had good luck with the "star" type of lock washer on those terminals. You might want to check the cables, as any slack can allow the cable to move from road vibration and loosen the nut. Maybe a clamp or two will do it.

I have also seen some mismatches between stud and nut. Some solenoids have a metric thread on the studs and don't fit a US nut very well.

Certainly double-nutting would be good. You might need to go to an electric shop to find nuts thin enough for two to fit on the stud. With a thin nut, you need to be careful not to overtorque, as there is less thread engagement on the soft copper stud.

One more thing that will cause this is too big a hole in the cable terminals. This just lets things move around way too much and prevents the lock washer from doing its job.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions, bill h and Timothy. I have just the standard lock washer which I will replace with a "star" washer, will try to find some thin nuts for double nutting, and will tie down the cables. Unfortunately I won't be able to try it out until spring; everything is ready for the predicted 111" snow due soon. Tnanx for your help.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
My local Home Depot had jam-nuts in stock (in the loose fastener/hardware drawers). They're about 1/2 the height of standard nuts....

Billh is right...not many threads, so don't over-torque when installing!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post