Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air bags or Levelers??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air bags or Levelers??
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Shelley & Bud Hinote
posted
After reading a lot of posts, I'm still not sure which topic describes me... Here's my situation-I have a Gillig chassis, with HWH levelers. The control panel has 4 joysticks to raise and lower the jacks, and 2 switches to turn on/off and "bleed". After driving the RV, I put down the jacks, then "bleed" system.. Am I deflating the air bags? Now, my problem is, the "bleeding" process isn't working anymore. I don't hear the air being released. However, by the next time I start the RV, I noticed that my air pressure is "0".(on dash gauge) So, have I addressed a lot of topics here or what?? Anybody have any answers, or am I talking off the wall??

Posts: 9 | Location: Avon Park, Florida | Member Since: 03-22-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
I suggest: "Am I deflating the air bags?"
Yes.
"I noticed that my air pressure is "0"(on dash gauge)".
While you are parked, the air tanks/bags are "leaking" air so it is empty -0 pressure- at startup many hours later. The gauge is reading pressure in the tanks, of course; not the actual bag pressure. It would also be empty if you parked overnight without bleeding the tanks or putting the jacks down.
n.b. I partially bleed the bags first and then lower the jacks. This allows leveling without extending the jacks as far.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So Gunner, you said that you partially bleed the bags first.. Well, mine won't "bleed" by using the switch. Is it ok to just let it "leak" out slowly? The last thing I want is to damage the air bags.

Posts: 9 | Location: Avon Park, Florida | Member Since: 03-22-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
I also have an HWH leveler system but it is different model --- hopefully the basics are the same. I also stuggled with a sequence that worked which I will share. When stopping for the night: 1. Depress the air brake button. 2. Turn off the main engine. 3. Turn the ignition key back to the "on" position (don't restart). 4. Turn on the leveler. 5. Bleed or kneel the coach to suit. Mine always starts in the front. 6. Then level the unit

If I don't follow this sequence exactly, the leveler will not work.

Hope this helps!

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Is it ok to just let it "leak" out slowly? The last thing I want is to damage the air bags."
Yes. It is going to "leak out slowly" anyway (from what you've described about zero pressure later). The jacks may be put down anytime before, after, or during the air discharge. Remember that when the engine is running air is being sent to the tanks, offsetting the "bleeding"; that's why Frank kills the engine and then turns the ignition back on to energize the levelers.
IMHO: The bags will only be hurt by retracting the jacks suddenly with no air in the tanks/bags, which suddenly drops the coach onto the deflated bags. ALWAYS run the engine and get the air up to normal before retracting the jacks. In my case, the extended jack feet are clear of the ground anytime the air is at normal pressure.
More: When I stay at a level location for extended periods (more than 2 weeks) I put blocks up close to the (retracted) jack feet while the tanks/bags are full then kill the engine and forget it. It settles overnight onto the jacks (still retracted) and the coach is supported ON THE JACKS although they are not extended and there is no hydraulic prssure on them. They are then, in effect, perfect chassis support points with no binding on empty bags or suspension items.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you Frank and Gunner.. Frank, that's the same steps I take.. But, it will not bleed.. I'm beginning to think that something is wrong with the switch.. And, since my coach is stationary for a period of time, I also put something under the jacks, so that it will be level at all times.