Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    What price peace of mind?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What price peace of mind?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A quick way to check for low tire pressure right after a run (like at a fuel stop) is to feel the sidewalls any temp unusually high compared to the others is suspect....note that higher temp on one of duals usually means the OTHER tire is low (but not always).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Valve stems are all metal, sensors only weigh an ounce or two at the most...usually don't need to rebalance tires. A gauge is supplied to check that the dill valve inside the stem is at the right height for the sensor to make contact. The one tire that is leaking barely made it and that stem does have an extension on it which will be replaced in Yuma along with all of the other stems. Know a few truckers that say they can tell if a tire is down just a few lbs by thumping but they have done it several times a day for years. The average person won't notice a difference unless the tire is about half flat anyway. Feeling sidewalls with your hand doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot either. I now use a laser temp to get an accurate reading and was surpised to find that tires on one side of the bus and jeep could be thirty or 40 degrees warmer depending on if the sun was on that side and how hot it was. An inside dual will also run a bit hotter than the outside tire due to less air circulation around it. Smiler Frost again this morning.....we are cutting our visit here short and changing our route a little so we can get south sooner. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Ok so i am busy/lazy and forgot to post my conclusions on this system after we got here to Yuma and now i see somebody else is asking about monitoring systems so i will post here so all of this will come up to the top of the page. After 1500 miles of using it i am really glad i got it. Nice to be able to push a button while you are going down the road and check on each one of your tires. Made me feel a whole lot better about how the jeep was doing behind me since i can't see it most of the time. If anyone is thinking of getting a system i would say do it! I don't think you will ever be sorry that you did.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post