Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    need help re Barth towing
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

need help re Barth towing
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We are still looking for a Barth that will
tow our horse trailer (6,000-7.000lbs).
We are considering a 28' Breakaway with
a Cummins 6BB5.9 190hp upgraded to 215hp.
Any opinions on how this combination will
work are needed and appreciated. Also, opinions on other Barths that would work better would be appreciated. Money is an object in our endeavor. Thanks for any advice and help. Joe

Posts: 42 | Location: Canton, TX USA | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am certainly NOT an expert, but DOUBT 215 H.P. will cut it. There are several members on this site that can state with more ENERGY than I, whether 215 is enough. I will watch to read their comments.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out gprmike's posting for a 1981 Barth
35' on a MCC chassis under "Coaches for sale".
He said that he pulled a 6500# trailer for
2900 miles with no problem.

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on the terrain you intend to travel and your individual preference.

Can you do a test tow?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
The 1981 MCC coach is a 22,000 lb 35 foot coach with a Detroit 215 hp.

The Breakaway is a 28 foot 15,700 lb coach with a 5.9l 160 hp. It was claimed that this coach was updated to 215hp.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Remember folks, torque tows, horsepower races.

I don't have the numbers memorized, but I remember two 250 hp DP engines with vastly different torque figures.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gebeclh
posted Hide Post
We have a 1992 30' Breakaway with a 5.9BT 160 Cummins. Shortly after purchasing this fine motorhome, I checked with Spartan as to towing capacity. Armed with this knowlege would determine what toad to consider. Spartan replied, Up to 5,000 lbs. Hope this info helps.

------------------
"The Moose Is Loose"

[This message has been edited by gebeclh (edited August 18, 2005).]

Posts: 16 | Location: Coon Rapids, Mn, USA | Member Since: 04-13-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Due to the distance between us and the Breakaway, a test drive is not practical...We did test tow a front pull 160 hp and it did not pass...We are still told that the Breakaway is 190hp with a turbo upgrade that results in 215hp...thanks for the help...we want a Barth but it must tow the horse trailer...Joe...

Posts: 42 | Location: Canton, TX USA | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
A gas and a diesel of equal hp are two different animals. Torque ratings are more meaningful.