Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    toilet woes
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

toilet woes
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted
I replaced my old toilet with a new one and the footprint is significantly smaller than the old toilet. This reveals wood flooring between the tile and the new toilet.

I need to fix the eyesore, and I need some suggestions. The floor has a plywood inlay that is the same height as the tile, so anything placed on it will be higher than the surrounding floor.

Need something simple, easy, cheap and good looking!

The background:

My fancy smancy toilet with electric flush was impractical because of size, used too much water for reliable operation for boondocking and needed some parts that cost more than a toilet alone should cost.

So I replaced it with one with a motorcycle kick starter on it and really like it and it's low water usage. I mostly dry camp.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
How much higher than the coach floor would it be if you floated a new floor level and retiled over the whole thing? I used the little tiles and think it came out pretty good for not much money. [I didn't raise the floor though].

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Depending on make/model, there may be a toilet riser that covers the area. Risers add a couple inches to overall height, but usually that's a good thing. Risers have much bigger footprint than the existing toilet base.

Google Shopping >> rv toilet riser
...there's a lot of hits to look over.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I think Lee has a good idea, but if for some reason that's not feasable, and you don't want to raise the whole floor, how about just tiling the area around the toilet with a matching or complementing sheet tile, maybe even using a bullnose edge to transit down to the existing floor if you wanted to get fancy. I keep talking sheet tile because it's relatively easy to cut to shape with scissors, then finish with tile nips. If you put the tile under the toilet instead of butting to it it's even easier, since you should be able to cut just the mesh and not even bother with the ceramic. As you may be able to tell, I really like working with tile, but some people don't.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post