Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Water pumps on 454
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Water pumps on 454
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
I've been playing with the idea of installing a new aluminium 3core radiator slightly smaller than the 36x28 monster which is stock w/ my 454 and using an electric fan w/ 2 aux. coolers one for oil the other for trans. fluid. It was time for radiator work, hoses, belts and thermostat. It seems like it would be much more efficient and close to a wash on cost, The aux. coolers will each have their own elect. fan as well. Any comments or ideas would be appreciated. I already have the radiator out.

Posts: 6 | Location: N. California | Member Since: 10-08-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Hello, and Welcome!

I have towed boats, dune buggies, 4Wheelers, etc up and down a lot of steep grades in 100+ weather with a lot of vehicles. Trucks, MHs, vans, sedans. I climbed Chiriaco Summit almost weekly every summer in the teens. (Degrees above 100,that is). I finally settled in to a US Radiator Desert Cooler radiator with a GM truck fan clutch and a Moroso high flow pump.

My present set up is a Barth 30 1/2 footer pulling either a 21 ft boat or a 2 1/2 ton 4WD. The engine is a 502, which has Siamese bores, so is quite prone to run hot. Sometimes, at altitude, we are climbing at 30 mph in low with no heating problems. The massive torque of the 502 pulling the load dumps a horrible amount of heat into the radiator, but all is well, even on Prescott's heat wave in Aug. (high '90s).

I don't want to sound like my way is the only way, but it is what I have slowly learned that works very well.

There are other good high flow water pumps out there. Trailer Life or Motor Home mag did a run up the Grapevine using stock and Edelbrock, and the Edelbrock ran cooler. There is a company in San Luis Obispo that makes good pumps, whose name escapes me. In any case, do not DO NOT use a pump with a stamped impeller. I was once overheating far from home, and while at my destination, ended up buying an Oldsmobile water pump and robbing its cast impeller to replace the sheet metal one on my Chevy. Big difference on the return trip, as well as subsequent trips.

Some of this may be overkill, depending on your load.

An air dam under the radiator will help create a low pressure area behind the radiator, aiding cooling, and a passenger side splash shield will help the hot air leave the doghouse, increasing the life of manifolds and plug wires on the right side. Closing off all paths for incoming air to by pass the radiator will help, too.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill for the great input. I too am looking at the Edelbrock water pump for my 454 engine it looks like a good option.Please tell me more re. the 'passenger side splash'. I already had mods to direct all the grill intake air through the radiator any thoughts on my going electric vs. belt driven for my fan?

Posts: 6 | Location: N. California | Member Since: 10-08-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M. Scott:
Please tell me more re. the 'passenger side splash'.

All the info is buried in posts by me on this site. Just search for "splash" posts by me.

quote:
any thoughts on my going electric vs. belt driven for my fan?

Unless things have changed very recently, it isn't gonna work. Many fan vendors caution against MH or heavy towing with their fans. I have the a big puller electric (search for details) and it doesn't do it. However, my clutch fan failed to shift to high blow on one trip, and the electric in combination with low blow allowed me to finish the trip with only a little overheating. I was not towing, so it would have been worse towing.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
We are closing in on a new waterpump. Took her for a test run of 20mi and found a puddle of antifreeze after parking her back in the garage, below drivers side. Hard to see, so crowded in there.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
We are closing in on a new waterpump. Took her for a test run of 20mi and found a puddle of antifreeze after parking her back in the garage, below drivers side. Hard to see, so crowded in there.

Sometimes it can help to hold a paper towel right under the spot where the shaft enters the housing and check for moisture. Some pumps also have a weep hole in the housing just aft of the shaft.

If you do replace the pump, be sure the new one has a cast impeller. Stamped sheet impellers do not flow as well. My own preference is a high flow pump.

Be sure to replace the hose between the intake manifold and pump with a very high-quality hose and constant-tension clamps. My own preference is Corbin clamps and a steel-reinforced marine hose.

As I have mentioned in other posts, an electric puller fan with a thermostat that allows it to run for a while after shutdown will prolong the life of that hose by protecting it from the dreaded after-shutdown heat soak.

Anyone who has had to replace that hose on the road will strenuously avoid a repeat performance. Frowner