Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    WFCO WF-8875 POWER CONVERTER
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

WFCO WF-8875 POWER CONVERTER
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
I have this converter on my Breakaway. Can I leave it plugged into 110? Will it 'cook' my batteries?

Thanks,

Rick

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I have this same type of convertor.

There is a phone number on the case that I called and they told me it only charges when called for. There is also a lighted button that you can press and that kicks it into a rapid charge mode.

I use mine only when running my gen set or when plugged into shore power. During the winter I use a pulse charger to maintain my batteries with them disconnected from the coach.

I have never had a problem with mine but would suggest you call the number on the case. They provided me with info when I called and asked for help.

https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000421.html

------------------

1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh/John Deere Chassis

http://www.truckroadservice.com/

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited December 30, 2005).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If the float voltage is no higher than 13.2, the battery will be fine.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
If the float voltage is no higher than 13.2, the battery will be fine.

The Interstate Batteries guy that I deal with tells me to shake any battery that hasn't sold in a month. He says the sulfation gets knocked off. I usually don't have batteries that set that long. I have heard this before but can't place it. What do you think Bill? Do the batteries that sit in our Barth's need to be shaked if we don't have that special type of charger?

BTW. I'll defer to you on battery additives as I don't have a clue!

------------------

1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh/John Deere Chassis

http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
The Interstate Batteries guy that I deal with tells me to shake any battery that hasn't sold in a month. He says the sulfation gets knocked off. I usually don't have batteries that set that long. I have heard this before but can't place it. What do you think Bill? Do the batteries that sit in our Barth's need to be shaked if we don't have that special type of charger?

BTW. I'll defer to you on battery additives as I don't have a clue!

I suspect the shaking would be more to eliminate stratification of the electrolyte. Some battery sources say that equalization is good because it does that in addition to desulfation.

If a battery has sat fully charged for a month, there should be no sulfation. I would be more in favor of an equalization or electronic desulfation being performed on a month-old battery than a "shaking".

At work, we had a bunch of stationary emergency lights that had lead acid batteries that lasted years without shaking, save an earthquake. They all received a trickle charge constantly from the AC line, and some of the more recent ones had a timed equalization cycle once a month or so. The batteries lasted a very long time. The telephone company has stationary batteries that operate for years without shaking. In peacetime, submarine batteries seldom got much shaking.

Shaking a golf cart battery enough to cause any sulfation to be shaken loose would be
quite an undertaking. Maybe you should buy a paint can shaker like the paint stores use. Wouldn't that be a sight!

However, I would not discount anything from a battery manufacturer, as they have a substantial financial interest in reducing warranty returns.

I will be speaking with Jim Le, one of the engineers at Trojan after the holidays, and will ask him about this.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post