Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Compartment Door Corrosion
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Compartment Door Corrosion
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Steve Castner
posted
One compartment door has small holes on the outside. They appear to be caused by corrosion, rather than impact. They do not go all the way through. The inside of the door is fine.

What could have caused the holes? What should I do to patch them?

Thanks.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
That's a very common problem. When you say the corrosion doesn't go all the way through, I think what you're seeing is corrosion going through the outer aluminum panel, but not the inner sheet. There is styrofoam in the middle I'll bet.

I think the styrofoam was part of the problem, it may have kept moisture in the middle which promoted corrosion on the aluminum sheet. A fix will be to totally replace the outer sheet. You will need to disassemble and see how it was made or take to a sheet metal guy.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Somewhere on here there is a whole thread on compartment door replacement. Try a search.
These doors are 2 pieces of aluminum sheet wth a thin sheet if luan sandwiched between. Water gets in past all the rivits and soaks the luan and sets up a galvanic reaction that causes the outside aluminum sheet to corrode.
As time goes on we all face the problem. Temporary fix by filling and painting is just that. Replacing the door panel is a very big job. This outfit makes a product that would eliminate the problem.
Don

http://www.whitingdoor.com/

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Pictures Please

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I had Whiting Door Co make me replacement panels using aluminum honeycomb rather than the luan wood substrate. They made them in exact size of the doors (I replaced all the doors) for under $400. You remove the rivets on the piano hinge on the top and disconnect the gas cylinder that holds some of them up and remove the locks. Drill out the rivets and then carefully saw through two corners at the welds and remove the edge. You can then pull the loose edge off and gently spread the sides and pull out the panel. Slide in the new panel and have an aluminum welder re-attach the edge you removes, drill new rivet holes for the hinge (using sealed head rivets, all aluminum), drill out the locks holes and install the locks, remount and then paint. And you are done and it will never happen again.
The luan and open head rivets allowed water to enter, soak the wood and corrode from the inside out. Nothing will repair this but replacement.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good advice on compartment doors. Tom, I will be back to you to learn more about working with Whiting if I decide to redo the doors.

Steve

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post