Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rivets
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rivets
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I'm replacing some of the rivets on the Barth. It seems most are 3/16" dia. Those holding running lights appear to be 1/4". Question is grip range. Aluminum skin to aluminum tubing is how thick? If tubing wall is 1/4", I would use either .251/.375 grip range. If tubing wall is more than 1/4" probably use .376/.500 grip range. What is the wall thickness of the aluminum tubing Barth used?
I will use alum rivet/aluminum mandrel 'closed end' type rivet since they are more moisture resistant and the mandrel stays in the rivet 100% of the time. Would appreciate any advice. BTW, Alcoa Fastening Systems make all this stuff.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Barth didn't use tubing for wall studs. They used a "Z" brace that is only slightly thicker that the wall thickness. All the rivets I have replaced were in the 1/4" grip range. Some of the larger (3/16" dia) rivets needed to be in the 3/8" grip range.

Bill G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill, did they use the same "Z" brace for the roof? What about the curved areas that connect the roof and the walls? Thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Somewhere in the archives is a series of pictures that shows the interior of a Barth without the inner panels. I believe it shows the roof as well. Also, there was a fellow who built out the back of a 22 footer with a "bustle" and framed it out to the roof. He also posted pictures of the inner wall framing.

I am not sure how the roof is framed. There may be tubing there, but I don't think so. I also believe the framing of the rounded corners was done with flat aluminum braces tied to the roof and wall pieces. The aluminum braces were cut with a radius and flange and the skin was wrapped over it. Look for the pictures, they will give you a good idea. Bill NY and Barthbluesmobile have both rebuilt the inside of their units and could help you significantly here. You migh try to PM them.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
In keeping with Barth's claim to aircraft construction techniques, I use Cherrymax rivets.

My limited peeling back of interior panels has shown me no Z sections, just channels in both sidewalls and roof.

I have a bit of ceiling loose right now, and will go outside later today or tomorrow to double-check.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post