Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Switch ID plea
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Switch ID plea
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
I receved this email from Doug Hayes can anyone help him?

Dave--

We purchased a 1977, 24 foot Barth in April 2002. We are new to RV'ing
and so have learned a lot this past year. There was no owners' manual,
there are two switches on the dash that we haven't a clue what their
purpose is and whether they should be up, down or in the middle. One
is to the left of the steering wheel, the other to the right. There
are no labels. Can you help with this or do you know where we can
obtain a diagram of the dashboard. Thanks. Doug & Maggie

doug.maggie@worldnet.att.net

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
One of them could be a switch to parallel the coach and chassis battery to start the engine with a low chassis battery, or start the gen with a low coach battery.

Is there a "clunk" underneath when one of them is moved?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Well, the bad news is that you are likely going to have to trace the wires from the rear of the switch.

Other than listening for relays to trip when you push them, you are going to have to do this.

One the negatives of a custom coach were the limitless variety of options, layouts etc. There seems to be no 'standard' anything.

On the other hand, My Barth had several dash switches that powered NOTHING> just extra spots on the dash for accessories that didn't exist on my coach. You may find the same situation with yours.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
On my 1976 27ft On the right side there is a gas tank switch which switches to right or left tank, to the left of this switch there is a switch which turns the radio to the rear speakers, above this switch about 3 inches there is a three position blower switch off in the mid position up for high
down for low.

Might be same Ralph

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my `86 has a switch on the left side of steering wheel used as a curtesy light switch. what its purpose is, is when you pass someone,and they "flash" their headlights when its safe to pull back in your lane, you will hit this switch, as a thank you. all it does is flash your clearance lights off and on. youve probably seen tractor trailers do this quite often.

Posts: 23 | Location: millville, n.j. | Member Since: 10-28-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on my '88 - one of the three ways controls the dash fans and the other controls the spotlight speed... the coursty switch is a monentary on/off and the aux start I believe is the same.

[This message has been edited by kc_rusty (edited August 04, 2003).]

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
One of my Accessory switches on the lights in all of the bays below. It took me a good while to figure it out.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
right on bill h, after reading your post on switches,on 8/3...."One of them could be a switch to parallel the coach and chassis battery to start the engine with a low chassis battery, or start the gen with a low coach battery."....... i couldnt wait to get to "camp" to try this..i knew my coach batteries were dead, so i cranked up my 454, hit the "unknown" switch, and and then my remote gen start switch, and walah!!!!gen cranked right over.thanks for the tip!! It only took me 5 years to find this out, but thanks to you and this site, it is now no longer a mystery...now i know what 2 out of 3 switches does, and i guess that aint bad??

Posts: 23 | Location: millville, n.j. | Member Since: 10-28-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mark Estep
posted Hide Post
On my '73, there is a switch to the right of the steering column that, when in the up position, the fuel gauge reads the fuel tank level...when down, it shows the propane level. I ran out of gas a couple of times trying to figure that one out!!

Posts: 65 | Location: Traveling the USA | Member Since: 11-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post