Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Add on " Fuel Preporator" for 8.2T DD
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Add on " Fuel Preporator" for 8.2T DD
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I am a new member to this site. Probably burried somewhere in this site is discussion about the "Fuel Preporator". I would appreciate any and all comments about this add on which is supposed to enhance this engines performance. I hope what I have is "not as good as it gets". Any suggestions will be appreciated. rigajake

------------------

Posts: 13 | Location: Blissfield, MI 49228 | Member Since: 07-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If such is one of those, GIVES YOU BETTER MPG gagets, then you are probably correct in saying, THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS, meaning it ain't going to do MUCH. I have always put such things in what I call the TRICK OF THE WEEK, FORGOTTEN TOMORROW category. I hope I am wrong for your sake.

I will be waiting to hear what the EXPERTS have to say about this. I am sure someone has STUDIED it well.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rigajake:
Probably burried somewhere in this site is discussion about the "Fuel Preporator". rigajake

Use of the "search" button above yielded no result on "preporator".

The preporator and the fass are similar, and are built by father and son. They are supposed to seperate air from diesel fuel.

As with most aftermarket products, there is a lot of controversy out there.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Rigajake,
We have a fuel prep on our 83 barth 8.2 detroit and i am satisfied with it. I can't honestly say that it has increased our torque or h.p. or even our fuel mileage as we put it on (as suggested by Les Hougland) shortly after buying our unit. What i can tell you about it is that we have had ZERO fuel problems with it in 4 1/2 years and that is buying fuel all over the country. (never know what you're really getting ie... how clean.)
As for the 8.2 if you are in a hurry in the mountains you better do an engine swap as it is going to slow down considerably if you are loaded as we usually are. When we first bought ours i thought i might be able to go up those BIG hills at 60+! He-He, ain't goin to happen. plan on slowing down to 45/50 and if it's a steep climb (as in hwy 101) we got down to about 25 mph going up it in northern Calif. This pulling the jeep and loaded as if fulltiming. If you keep your radiator clean, oil changed, good fuel, and mechanics up to date and can accept that you aren't going to set any land speed records with the 8.2 it wil give you good service. DO NOT EVER-EVER let this baby get too HOT! We also put in king cruise control and wouldn't be without it. also you'll need to find the sweet spot for the rpm's if you haven't yet. Ours seem to be around 2750/2800 running at 65/66 mph, down shift at about 2400 rmp.
Our mileage has ranged from 7.8 to 10.2 mpg with our unit. I think i would buy the fuel prep again as it is a good measure of clean fuel for me. other opinions may vary of course. In your position i would call Les and talk to him about the addition of the prep. Call the company also and talk to them about it. Ask Me or others any questions you have and then make your decision based on YOUR needs IF you think it will do what you want it to. Barth Rocks and 8.2 isn't that bad!
Mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ironsides:
Rigajake,
We have a fuel prep on our 83 barth 8.2 detroit and i am satisfied with it. I can't honestly say that it has increased our torque or h.p. or even our fuel mileage as we put it on (as suggested by Les Hougland) shortly after buying our unit. What i can tell you about it is that we have had ZERO fuel problems with it in 4 1/2 years and that is buying fuel all over the country. (never know what you're really getting ie... how clean.)
As for the 8.2 if you are in a hurry in the mountains you better do an engine swap as it is going to slow down considerably if you are loaded as we usually are. When we first bought ours i thought i might be able to go up those BIG hills at 60+! He-He, ain't goin to happen. plan on slowing down to 45/50 and if it's a steep climb (as in hwy 101) we got down to about 25 mph going up it in northern Calif. This pulling the jeep and loaded as if fulltiming. If you keep your radiator clean, oil changed, good fuel, and mechanics up to date and can accept that you aren't going to set any land speed records with the 8.2 it wil give you good service. DO NOT EVER-EVER let this baby get too HOT! We also put in king cruise control and wouldn't be without it. also you'll need to find the sweet spot for the rpm's if you haven't yet. Ours seem to be around 2750/2800 running at 65/66 mph, down shift at about 2400 rmp.
Our mileage has ranged from 7.8 to 10.2 mpg with our unit. I think i would buy the fuel prep again as it is a good measure of clean fuel for me. other opinions may vary of course. In your position i would call Les and talk to him about the addition of the prep. Call the company also and talk to them about it. Ask Me or others any questions you have and then make your decision based on YOUR needs IF you think it will do what you want it to. Barth Rocks and 8.2 isn't that bad!
Mike

Posts: 13 | Location: Blissfield, MI 49228 | Member Since: 07-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post