Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cost to put in new gas motor
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cost to put in new gas motor
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Howdy, My friend with a Barth has a problem and no computer: He had a problem with oil spewing into the breather and took it in to be advised that at least one cylinder is bad and perhaps more...possibly if they fix it as it is, the cost will be perhaps $3700, and they suggest he may need to put in a 454 replacement motor. Does anyone know an approximate cost of a completely rebuilt replacement motor, and the cost of labour? He got a quote of approx $8700 and it seems a bit excessive. He is willing to tow it somewhere else if necessary but at least wanted to know that if he leaves it to be done where it is now, that the price is about average. They plan to cut the front out of the coach or pop the existing rivets to get it out and the overall replacement will take about a month or so.
Thanks for any input.

Posts: 2 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Member Since: 04-08-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
This is only a guesstimate, but I know that a GM Goodwrench 454 crate engine is around $3500.00 and I wouldn't expect to pay more than $2K to install it. I have always assume around $5-6K for an engine replacement and $3-4K for a tranny.

by the way welcome to the site.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited April 08, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
First I would do a compression test if it has not been done. I lost an engine with a similar problem. It was due to "burn thru" of the preheat exhaust crossover in the intake manifold. If the crossover burns thru it will pressurize the crankcase.
I purchased engines from the following link and have been very happy with them.
http://www.1800runsnew.com/gmpp.htm
Best of luck, Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
There is a thread on replacing a 454 which was last posted on 3/26/04. Good advice there on the process to r & r a 454.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A remanufactured 454 engine from Jasper cost $4,039.00 with core exchange. Their engines carry a 3 year/75,000 mile warranty nation wide. They have a installers listing available on their web site. I believe this engine is complete from oil pan up and maybe also the water pump. I don't think it includes the intake or distributor. Their web site is: http://www.jasperengines.com/home.html

Click under the catalog section and follow the tabs.

I have bought a street racing short block 454 from them and it was a good engine.

------------------
Barth Wannabe
Nick and Glo

Posts: 34 | Location: Brandenburg, KY USA | Member Since: 02-15-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would not let anyone cut any metal or drill any rivets.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Regal I just bought in the mid-west has a Jasper engine. It was strong running engine on the trip home. A friend of mine works at a large auto shop. A customer came in with an engine that had a knock in it. It was a Jasper engine and Jasper stood behind the customer even though he let it run out of oil. Jasper said that they would replace the engine even though the customer messed up.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I forgot to mention about the warranty on Jasper engines. On car engines the warranty is 36 months/75,000 what ever comes first. On motor homes or trucks over 1 ton the warranty is 15,000 or one year. Something to keep in mind when shopping around.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I just surfed through Jasper & GM Parts Depot. Jasper shows a reman. 454 for $4159, & GM shows a new 502 crate engine for $4991 - 512 ft.lb. torque @2800, 338 HP @ 4500. The diff. of $832 sounds worthwhile for the added performance, & a new engine.

I'm sure a local rebuilder could come up with a lower price yet, though neither the warranty, nor the longevity are likely to be as good.

Indeed GM Parts has a reman. 454 for 1980 - 1988 light trucks, for $2685, and you get a $600 core charge back. Don't know if it would be suitable for a motorhome.

A nationally known RV performance shop, two blocks from my home, told a friend he needed a new 454 for around $8000. He changed the oil, put in a can of Rislone, and started it up. The miss stopped, and the clattering valve lifter quieted down. A sticky valve lifter - $8K engine, indeed. And the pros wonder why we don't trust them.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post