Barthmobile Portal
New tires

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/9021059061

09-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Bill G
New tires
I recently put new Goodyear G670 RV tires on the front of my 92 Regency as a replacement for my Goodyear G159's. They were 6 years old. The new RV tires are a big improvement in steering and ride. I am surprised at the difference considering their similarity with the ones that I replaced. The difference is basically a softer rubber. They won't wear as well, but I doubt that I'll wear them out as they should go 75K anyway. The old ones were formulated to go 100K.

Goodyear does not make a tire for the rear (255/80 R22.5) so I am looking at Toyo's (M120) as an option. I am currently running Michelins, but would prefer a different tire. Michelin seem to be having some problems these days according to other forums. Does anyone have info or an opinion on the Toyo M120?

Bill G
09-20-2005, 02:29 AM
olroy
There are lengthy discussions about tires on some other threads. I know that many truckers like Toyos, but at least one earlier post reported that Toyo doesn't recommend their tires for RV use. True or not? I don't know, but I don't see why they should be different from other brands.

I've had some unsatisfactory personal experience with Michelins,. All the car tires I've bought in the last 5 years have been Toyos, & my next set will be too. For Barth tires, if I can afford them I'll go for all-steel radials,.
09-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Jim and Tere
Before I bought my Goodyears, I tried to buy Toyos. I talked to a Toyo engineer and he told me that they had been told by their legal department not to reccomend any tires for motor home use. He said there were a couple of legal situations in California that made them take this position
Jim
09-20-2005, 12:08 PM
olroy
I had good luck with Bridgestones replacing a set of Michelins on a previous S.O.B.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited September 20, 2005).]
09-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Bill G
I have decided on the Toyo tire for the rear. I am getting 255 70/R 22.5 M120's. My best price is $1100.00 mounted.

Bill G
02-14-2006, 11:15 AM
gordonb
I wish I had saved the article from Good Sam magazine but it was from a couple about carrying couple spare tires in case you need can't find your brand on the road. They used Toyo only and said they would not buy any other but I am sure most others are OK.

I have good tires on the front, look to be the newest but don't know about the other rears which have very fine cracks in sidewall. Should I worry that the 20 ply Michalon tires will fall apart?

How many Toyo tires did you get mounted for 1100.00

quote:
Originally posted by goodwinw:
I have decided on the Toyo tire for the rear. I am getting 255 70/R 22.5 M120's. My best price is $1100.00 mounted.

Bill G

------------------
Gordon Brimhall
1987 Barth 32' SE
454 P-30 Chassis
1998 Harley Electra Glide in Tow
02-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Bill G
I put a complete set of Toyo's on the rear (4). I didn't get to put very many miles on the coach after that, but with the driving I did, the tires handled very well and the ride is softer. I did trade off a bit on overall diameter (1/2" to 3/4"), but I didn't notice any accuracy differance on my speedometer.

I have a new GPS for this season and will have an alternate speed measurement. I will also note fuel economy. I currently get 9 MPG towing my Accord, and 11/12 not towing. Running the genny to provide AC drops the MPG down around to about 8 while towing.

Bill G

[This message has been edited by goodwinw (edited February 14, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by goodwinw (edited February 15, 2006).]