Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    New tires
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New tires
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
I recently put new Goodyear G670 RV tires on the front of my 92 Regency as a replacement for my Goodyear G159's. They were 6 years old. The new RV tires are a big improvement in steering and ride. I am surprised at the difference considering their similarity with the ones that I replaced. The difference is basically a softer rubber. They won't wear as well, but I doubt that I'll wear them out as they should go 75K anyway. The old ones were formulated to go 100K.

Goodyear does not make a tire for the rear (255/80 R22.5) so I am looking at Toyo's (M120) as an option. I am currently running Michelins, but would prefer a different tire. Michelin seem to be having some problems these days according to other forums. Does anyone have info or an opinion on the Toyo M120?

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
There are lengthy discussions about tires on some other threads. I know that many truckers like Toyos, but at least one earlier post reported that Toyo doesn't recommend their tires for RV use. True or not? I don't know, but I don't see why they should be different from other brands.

I've had some unsatisfactory personal experience with Michelins,. All the car tires I've bought in the last 5 years have been Toyos, & my next set will be too. For Barth tires, if I can afford them I'll go for all-steel radials,.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Before I bought my Goodyears, I tried to buy Toyos. I talked to a Toyo engineer and he told me that they had been told by their legal department not to reccomend any tires for motor home use. He said there were a couple of legal situations in California that made them take this position
Jim

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with Bridgestones replacing a set of Michelins on a previous S.O.B.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited September 20, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
I have decided on the Toyo tire for the rear. I am getting 255 70/R 22.5 M120's. My best price is $1100.00 mounted.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I had saved the article from Good Sam magazine but it was from a couple about carrying couple spare tires in case you need can't find your brand on the road. They used Toyo only and said they would not buy any other but I am sure most others are OK.

I have good tires on the front, look to be the newest but don't know about the other rears which have very fine cracks in sidewall. Should I worry that the 20 ply Michalon tires will fall apart?

How many Toyo tires did you get mounted for 1100.00

quote:
Originally posted by goodwinw:
I have decided on the Toyo tire for the rear. I am getting 255 70/R 22.5 M120's. My best price is $1100.00 mounted.

Bill G

------------------
Gordon Brimhall
1987 Barth 32' SE
454 P-30 Chassis
1998 Harley Electra Glide in Tow

Posts: 30 | Location: Havasu Lake Calif USA | Member Since: 04-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
I put a complete set of Toyo's on the rear (4). I didn't get to put very many miles on the coach after that, but with the driving I did, the tires handled very well and the ride is softer. I did trade off a bit on overall diameter (1/2" to 3/4"), but I didn't notice any accuracy differance on my speedometer.

I have a new GPS for this season and will have an alternate speed measurement. I will also note fuel economy. I currently get 9 MPG towing my Accord, and 11/12 not towing. Running the genny to provide AC drops the MPG down around to about 8 while towing.

Bill G

[This message has been edited by goodwinw (edited February 14, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by goodwinw (edited February 15, 2006).]