Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Remote Genny Start (Not)
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Remote Genny Start (Not)
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
The equipt: Onan BF-4, (Spec A) gasser, mechanical ignition, 450 hrs TT, 7 hrs on new wires/plugs/coil/points/condenser........

The Issue: Starter spins it fast when using remote button on dash - (Spins even faster when batteries connected) - but won't even hint at firing off Confused

But hit start button on genny panel and it starts in a nano-second and purrs.

OFF button in either location will kill it.

This is probably because_______________?????

Thanks!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My Kohler was that way until I ran a ground cable from the starter mount bolt to the frame (clean connection, of course).

Yeah, it makes no sense, but, I have gotten to the point where The first thing I do in electrical stuff on MHs, trailers or boats is provide a really good ground.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Another thing would be to check and clean the connections at both ends of the remote harness. I use CRC 2-26, but there are others. Just be sure they are plastic safe.

Do you have a wiring diagram so you know what wire is what? Then, while the cockpit switch is disconnected, you can use a continuity light to check the operation of the cockpit start switch. You can also use a jumper to try start the gen from the cockpit.

Can you post a copy of the wiring diagram?

If you can find a good analog voltmeter, like a
Simpson 260 or Triplett 630, connect the red lead to the coil negative and the black one to ground. Remove the plug leads, and crank the engine from the gen bay and observe the needle. Then, have someone try to start the gen from the remote panel while you observe the meter. Is the needle movement the same?

If you run a jumper wire from the battery lead of the solenoid to the ignition system, can the gen be started from the dash? (sorry I can't be more specific, but my Onan experience is long ago, and no diagram here)

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post