Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Ride Rite Suspension. Where are the valves!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ride Rite Suspension. Where are the valves!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted
Hi, I just got my Barth back from storage today and I'm trying to prepare it for the summer ahead. One of the thing I want to correct is the fact that it is lower on the passenger side by an inch or two. I have the Firestone Ride Rite system. Finding the valves for the front bags wasn't hard. I followed the line from each bag and it lead me to the wheel well. They both have 20PSI. Is that enough?
The rear ones are the ones who stumped me. I can't locate the valves!
If I follow the line from the bag, it first goes in the top some kind of a body valve and comes out at the bottom. It then goes to a Tee where both bags are connected. Out of the Tee a line goes to the front where it connects to a little faucet and goes back toward the rear. That's where I loose track of it. It goes into a mess of cables and lines.

What is the normal setup? The bag on the passenger side is definitively lower than the other. But if both bags are connected to a Tee how can I inflate them separately? That is if I can find the valves for the rear bags.

I must overlook something simple.

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The plumbing on your rear axle Ride-Rites is mysterious. My Ride-Rite valves are on the apron in front of the rear bumper. It's possible yours are plumbed into a pump somewhere, as are the airbags on my tag axle.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I am totally against air bags being teed together. Not only have you been deprived of the ability to adjust ride height on each side, but all sway inhibition is gone. In fact, sway is made worse, as the (low) side with the higher dynamic load on it is compressed, forcing more pressure into the high side, making the sway worse.

Disclaimer and warning of obscure automobile reference: I have no Breakaway experience, but have used air bags since the first deuce-and-a-quarter.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post