Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cheating on Toat Weights
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cheating on Toat Weights
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
OK I have always strived to stay with in the bounds when it come to toads. Thats why I tow the Saturn SC2 which weight 14 lbs 6 ozs. Of course, the fact that Deb has to put me in it with a shoe horn and grease the door jams to get me out we live with it.

I keep seeing 1983 Pace Arrows pulling Jeep Cherokees. So what would happen if I were to pull a 3800 lb. Ford Ranger with maybe 500# of stuff in the back?

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Wow, stunning lack of response.

First thing is, your Chevy chassis would sulk if forced to tow a Ford.

I towed our 5000 lb boat with our previous 454 SOB with no problems for years. We also towed a 4Runner that is pretty heavy. You would need to be sure your hitch was well-installed. You would need toad brakes. You would probably lose some mileage, although some do, some don't. You will accelerate and climb more slowly. Thorleys and a Performer manifold will help that. I would say that those two additions will make the coach faster with a toad than it is now without. The engine and trans will run a little hotter, so you need to monitor temps. You do have a trans temp gage, don't you?

Whether it would be too slow is an individual choice. I would suggest loading the Saturn up with bags of feed or whatever until it weighs as much as the Ranger in question. Then go for a ride and climb a hill.

And now, for something completely different:.......Does your Saturn have an air bag? If not, consider a smaller steering wheel. I am tall(my head rubs the roof on my son's SL-2), heavy, and old (stiff), and had to put a D-shaped smaller wheel on my Jag. Helps a lot.

Pickups are really neat.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post