Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Somebody STOP ME!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Somebody STOP ME!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
I tend to be anal about maintenance, and being sure everything on all my machines works as it should. But on StaRV II, I tend to be SuperAnal...

Today, I just about finished installing a VDO turbo boost gage, but the "mights-wells" snagged me, and I finished replacing the line from the horn air compressor (now mounted in the rear by the prior owner, to get the noise out of the passenger compartment) with copper (previously it was polyethylene).

Then I discovered the 12VDC compressor had seen better days (0 psi with the output plugged was my first clue). However, from the get-go, I suspected the compressor was bad, yet I replaced the half-of-run poly with copper anyway, before testing the compressor. BTW, a new compressor is on the way...

The boost gage? Really, none is needed, due to the fact the AMG engine's turbo is non-wastegated, and is by design limited to about 11-12 psi. But I have this compulsion to know everything that's going on back in the rear where the engine is...

Next, I install a satellite dish (underway auto-tracking - didn't need the underway stuff, but I got the thing unused for 1/3 the price of a new stationary unit [friend bought it for his 5th wheel, then sold it and bought another 5th wheel with one already installed]...can't pass up a bargain) Yet, I don't watch that much TV when parked.

Anyone else have a similar affliction (or "dedication")?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
UUHHMMMMMM YES!!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only cure is to sell your Barth to me before it's too late.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sell StaRV II before it's too late? It's too late Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Debugging the Air Horns... Literally.

With the airline replaced with copper, and the new compressor installed (pumps up in about 3 minutes, compared to the old one's 20 - when it worked), the horns went like this: "Pffffzzztttttt."

I pulled the cover, cleaned the diaphagms, and tried again - only the high-note sounded.

So I removed the low-note trumpet, and cleaned out the yellow jackets' nest, and now both work fine....

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke