Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Onan/black smoke
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Onan/black smoke
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
When I shut down the get set I get a cloud of black smoke from the exhaust. When I start it back up I get a cloud of black smoke. It is like the engine continues to draw in fuel as it is being shut down. I wonder if anyone has ever installed a fuel shut off solenoid in the fuel system?

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The fuel supply to your carb is effectively shut off when you shut off the genset, as power is removed from the electric fuel pump. You could experiment with shutting off the pump before shutting down, or just letting it run dry at shutdown. But I suspect that would be treating the symptom, rather than the cause.

My Onan knowledge is getting more vague, as my Barth has a Kohler Klanker. But it sounds as if the engine could be running rich all the time, and it is just more noticeable when it is at low rpm. Does it smell stinky at operating speed? Do you know anyone with an exhaust sniffer? What color is the plug insulator? Is the choke linkage free? Have you run some Red Line Fuel System cleaner through it? Since I started using it, my genset runs better, my dog minds and the neighbors wave to me. If the float in your carb is out of adjustment, the mixture could be rich. Or the float needle seat could need replacement or a little lapping.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill for the input. I noticed that the exhaust is a little stinky. I too figured that the float level or needle and seat might have a problem. I talked to the Onan/Cummins people and found out that a new carb is around $130 and that might be the way to go instead of try to rebuild the carb. I run some Marvel oil throught the carb today and I think that it might have helped. I used some stuff in my Aeronca called AvBlend and it really cleaned the engine. The first oil change the oil screen was full of carbon and I thought that I had made a big mistake, but the next oil change there was a lot less crud. The screen on the third oil change was clean and the engine really run smooth, so I think that I will try some in the gen set to see what happens.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
hi my 7000w koler in my 87 has a degasser in the carb. carl

Posts: 29 | Location: forestburgh n.y usa | Member Since: 01-06-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a new carb for the get set. There is an adjustment on the carb that has a wheel to turn it. It looks like a needle valve for air or fuel. Not sure which. Any ideas? If this new carb works like I hope it well, the old carb will up for parts.

posted Hide Post
mine is an onan probably 77 model..my needle adjustment is for gas..turn it in all the way..crank out 2 1/2 turns..start engine..turn in or out to adjust for fine tuning..good luck

------------------
living in beautiful southern illinois
77-21' p-30 454
check out my music link
www.artistblast.com/music/walter roy hawk thanks

Posts: 37 | Location: alto pass il | Member Since: 01-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post