Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Roof top Vents ?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof top Vents ?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Howdy,

These forum's have been wonderful so I thought I'd ask about this.

My Barth is a 1977 21'. While at Burning Man a friend of mine went through my only good roof top vent. The second vent was already cracked and taped up for the trip.

At the local RV shops I have found a new Bathroom vent and it has veen installed. But they can not seem to find the main cabin two roof top vents.

Does anyone have a lead on these ? I'm not home at the moment so I can't get a pic of them just yet. These vents can open from the front or back, and have a flush mounting screen on the insode of the cabin.

Thx, Nemos

Posts: 28 | Location: Kamloops BC | Member Since: 06-21-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Gonna need pix - there are MANY manufacturers and designs...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Sounds like what happened to me years ago. In one trip to Talladega all 3 roof vents self-destructed due to age and brittleness. I was told by every place I tried that the kind of vent I had was no longer available. I didn't want to replace the whole vent so I found some covers that were close, rigged them to the risers, and put some 1/2" square weather stripping on top of the frame to get a pretty good seal when closed. Then I put Max-Air covers over them. Worked well for me!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention the size of your roof vent, but it may be the type used on early Airstreams where they had two screw up attachment points. If it's a standard size vent, consider replacing it with this type...
http://www.etrailer.com/Enclos...O7xawCFRNb7AodwAK6qA

The all metal vents are great if you park near trees or in Florida sun for instance.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nemos:
Howdy,

These forum's have been wonderful so I thought I'd ask about this.

My Barth is a 1977 21'. While at Burning Man a friend of mine went through my only good roof top vent. The second vent was already cracked and taped up for the trip.

At the local RV shops I have found a new Bathroom vent and it has veen installed. But they can not seem to find the main cabin two roof top vents.

Does anyone have a lead on these ? I'm not home at the moment so I can't get a pic of them just yet. These vents can open from the front or back, and have a flush mounting screen on the insode of the cabin.

Thx, Nemos

I had one of those on an earlier RV. It was great, allowing me to tilt open the forward edge while driving to create positive pressure of rooftop level air. This was very useful on gravel roads, keeping dust from infiltrating as much. The choice of intake direction is also handy in varying wind directions. I wish they still made them.

If at all possible, I would follow Danny's lead and try to cobble up some way to adapt a current top or lid to your existing mechanism. Perhaps you and Danny could exchange photos to see what is what.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have a lead on these ? I'm not home at the moment so I can't get a pic of them just yet. These vents can open from the front or back, and have a flush mounting screen on the insode of the cabin

I had a '77 Barth and was able to fine replacement, plastic domes at Camping World. That was 6+ years ago.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I got a few pics of the current roof vent on my 1977 21' barth. Both are damaged and i would like to replace them.

The new vent on the left is for the bathroom and I found that at the local RV shop... no luck with the main vents so far.

Posts: 28 | Location: Kamloops BC | Member Since: 06-21-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I would replace them with Fan-tastic Vent. They offer different options,(3 speed fan,reversable,auto open/close ect.). The fan has great draw for the power usage. You would have to do a little fitting on the corners, but will fit the 14"x14" opening of your existing vents.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I'm relatively sure that it is the same as this one, but in clear.

This one was sold on Ebay back in Late April.

I have no idea who made these, but perhaps this image will help you out a little more.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of petermac
posted Hide Post
If you find these i would like to order a couple also
PeterMac

Posts: 31 | Location: Vancouver B.C. | Member Since: 09-02-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I found this cover at vintage trailers.here
Doorman

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I bought the 14" Galvanized vent on my Airstream from Vintage trailer. Looks old, works great. No worry of UV degradation with the Galv cover.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
It looks like this in a Hammond vent. Another source.here
Doorman

Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
You might take a look at Fantastic vents: http://www.fantasticvent.com/. I just installed one to replace a defective bathroom power vent.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ihave mold for the hammond vent that i pulled from a fibergless replacemt vent if you go to my post on coaches forsale 1975 23ft kans you can see one that I made hand layed fibergless.with white jelcote & woven cloth. if I still have enouf material I could make some more. phone # 6203650940

edit: add photo bill n.y.

Posts: 35 | Location: Southeast Kansas | Member Since: 10-07-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post