Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cabinets Rub Together Making Loud Noises
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cabinets Rub Together Making Loud Noises
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
I have a 94 34 foot Regency with beautiful cherry cabinets that we love. But----the joint where the two sections of eyelevel cabinets above the microwave and the sink meet, rub together when on rough roads and make an awful sticky noise that literally drives us nuts. It's much louder than you can imagine and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. It is so loud that we can hear it in the background of video tapes that we made while on the road. I have tried bolting the two together to no avail and I tried to separate the two in order to insert something between them with no luck. The only thing that seems to help is to wedge a 2X4 between the sink and the uppper cabinet for support(a desperate temp fix). I have noticed that humidity effects the level of noise. The higher the humidity - the louder the noise. There are no other obvious signs of problems. Everything seems tight with no sagging. This is the only joint that makes the noise. All the others are fine.

Has anyone else out there experienced similar problems or is it just me? Any ideas on a repair?

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's not the cabinets rubbing together, but looseness in the cabinet mounting. This is suggested by the fact that a 2x4 brace stops the noise. Try tightening the fastenings, or adding more.

I have a similar issue with my expandable dinette where it mounts to the wall. I've snugged up the mounting bolts twice, but the maddening squeek returns returns in a few miles.

I hesitate to glue everything up, the assembly is designed for removal. Next step will be silicone lube on the faying surfaces, & epoxy on the fastenings. --- Unless someone else here has a better idea.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
Perhaps it's not the cabinets rubbing together, but looseness in the cabinet mounting. This is suggested by the fact that a 2x4 brace stops the noise. Try tightening the fastenings, or adding more.

I have a similar issue with my expandable dinette where it mounts to the wall. I've snugged up the mounting bolts twice, but the maddening squeek returns returns in a few miles.

I hesitate to glue everything up, the assembly is designed for removal. Next step will be silicone lube on the faying surfaces, & epoxy on the fastenings. --- Unless someone else here has a better idea.

I attached my drop down table to the vertical channels with Molly Bolts.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I too had a cabinet squeak, but only when subjected to a twisting motion, i.e.: going over a speed-bump at an angle, etc. In my case, they were adjacent cabinets of different depths (side-stile of shallow cabinet abutted the sidewall of the deeper set). Here's what I did:

1. Mark the inside edge of the shallow cabinet stile adjacent to the offending joint into thirds (approx)- these are your drilling ref. locations.

2. On the stile edge center line, drill a pilot hole through the stile (plumb & square!) and into the interior wall of the deeper cabinet - countersink the hole at the stile so you can flush-out the screw head. (Pilot hole size should be very close to screw size so you don't stress the hardwood stile with expansion pressure of screws)

3. On interior sidewall of deeper cabinet, where pilot holes came through, glue a small piece (2"x2"+/-) of 3/4" plywood over holes. Glue is nonstructural, so anything will work to hold it in-place until screwed. This provides meat & bearing surface for the screw.

4. Using right length screw, install through the stile and into the plywood - countersink screw to make head unnoticeable. In my case, screws were a tad too long and penetrated through the plywood, but a Dremel cut-off made short work of fixing it. Because I had to hold drill slightly off-center of the work, square-head screws made it easier.......

Two screws should be able to hold the tension loads necessary to "suck-up" the offending gap and eliminate rubbing movement without adding too much stiffness to cause other problems.

If cabinets are the same depth, it's the same procedure but you'll be drilling through the side stiles of both cabinet, so screw length sizing is more important to avoid run-out on the other side.

And....like Olroy recommended, double check all other mounting hardware for loose/missing pieces.......

Worked for me...maybe it'll work for you.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys but I think I have most of your suggestions covered with the (2) 3/8 bolts that I installed between the cabinets and squeezed the two cabinet sections together to no avial. All the other fasteners are tight.
The silicone lub that olroy mentioned might be worth a try but I remember from experience in other applications that lube on wood can be tricky especially if its painted. When I was a kid, we had a drop down attic ladder with a dado groove that required a special wax/lub to stop the chatter when dropped down. Would silicone lube mean WD-40 or maybe a spray on white lube?

Thanks for your help.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
WD40 could stain the wood or soften the finish. You could experiment by placing cloth between the faying surfaces. My favorite wood lube is the wax stick sold for drawer slides.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use silicone or WD-40. Plain old wax or waxed paper would be preferred.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
I like both of your ideas but have no idea how to separate the cabinets enough to apply the wax paper or wax stick. Even when I wedge the 2x4 between the sink and the cabinet, no opening is created at the joint. The only thing I have not tried is to completely remove the section over the sink --- but that would be a major task.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Strong:
I like both of your ideas but have no idea how to separate the cabinets enough to apply the wax paper or wax stick.

Rusty's idea of wax paper is probably your best possibility, with the room you have. Get a new wood shingle or shim and drive it gently between the cabinets. It might open up enough room for a sheet of wax paper. It might also tell you something as you drive.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Do they even sell wax paper any more? Seems like years since i last saw it....guess i will look for it next time i go to the store. My mom used to wrap our sandwichs for school in it, and we used it to slick up the playground slide. Also used it for the runners on our sleds in the winter. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Yes you can still buy Wax Paper. The only brand that has stood the test of time is "CUT RITE" a Reynolds product.............

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post