Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    starting problem
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

starting problem
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
Just checked the parts list for an 8.2L DD and glow plugs are listed. They even have an upgrade glow plug kit.
Wow, that's news to me... I'm not aware of any 8.2L Detroit Diesel that uses glowplugs. Maybe they did in later years, or maybe in specialty setups, but as far as I know none within our Barth time frame.

Perhaps you're reading about an intake heater? Maybe a block heater? Sometimes the parts companies list these for the unfamiliar consumer who might call everything a glowplug.

Gary knows this stuff, but for those who might not know. Glowplugs are used in the head to preheat each cylinder. An intake heater only heats up the incoming air inside of the manifold. A block heater heats up the antifreeze and plugs into house current of 120 or 240.

Not seen much, but they also make magnets and dipstick heaters that warm up the oil inside of the pan.

Does anyone else with an 8.2L DD have glowplugs in their coach?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
My starting problem has become more involved.
I cleaned all the ground wires and added contact paste to each on the starter and a couple of other areas.

Pulled up the bedding and got the engine compartment open and took a look. Could not find anything there out of normal so I decided to take it to my mechanic.

When I went to start it, the starter just makes a "clunk" noise and it appears the starter solenoid is not engaging. I even tried jump starting it. Also had my wife quickly turn the key on and off as I tapped the starter with a hammer (old trick for a stuck solenoid). Nothing happen but the "clunk".

I've called the shop I take it too and they advised several things all of which did not work.
Next thing will be to get one of the mechanics to come over and pull off the starter.

I am unable to do that because of a health problem.

Could a bad starter solenoid been the cause all along?

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Jim:

I had similar problems with my bus not starting and the motor was turning over. Bill is correct when he says that low voltage could cause the solenoid plunger not to engage. My problem was the solenoid was bad and I replaced it thanks to Bill. In my engine compartment there was a switch on the pannel and when you turn it on you can hear the solenoid engage. I always started the motor at the engine compartment because it reminded me to check the oil and water at the same time. I also had similar problems with it not turning over and it was a bad connection at the engine battery.

Changesd it and the problem went away.

Goog luck

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Just an update on my starting problem.
I had a mobile mechanic come to the house and remove the starter.
It was taken to a starter rebuild shop and bench tested. They could not do a load test.
While it spun freely it may have a dead spot in it and they did find one tooth slightly chipped and one tooth badly chipped.
I elected to buy a new starter and when it was put in, it turn the engine over freely.
The mechanic messed with the shut off solenoid and
the engine fired to life.

Bill-NY YES you hit the nail on the head, the fuel shut off solenoid is faulty. Thumbs Up

The mechanic is coming back in a couple of days to repair/replace it.
That starter was the original starter off my first engine. The rebuilt engine came with a starter however the teeth did not match up so I had to use the original.
Just for information- I was told the teeth on my starter are 13 and the standard ones are normally 12.

Thanks again to everyone.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update.

Took the fuel shut off solenoid and opened it up.
Moved the spring back and forth several times and also cleaned a lot of grime from it.

Checked the wiring with a mulimeter and everything checked out.

Turned the key on and the engine jumped to life right away. Smiler

Thanks again Bill-NY

This ends the starting problem.