Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    uphill in the barth
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

uphill in the barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hey all, just bought my barth a 1979 24 footer w/ a 454 and Im going to be driving through some steep grades ive never driven an rv so I dont really know what im doing. I'm just looking for some gearing and driving tips since im such an rv noobie. Thanks.

Posts: 16 | Location: Pensacola, FL | Member Since: 09-26-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Your biggest issue in steep hills is braking.

Make sure your front brake pads are good and are free to slide side-to-side in the calipers. Make sure the rear linings are good and the shoes are free to move on the backing plates. This can avoid unnecessary heat-producing brake drag.

Replace brake fluid with new high quality fluid. Search the site for recommendations.

Use engine braking to go down steep hills. Select a safe speed and let speed build 5 mph above it. Brake moderately hard to 5 mph below it, and release. Repeat. This will prevent heat fade and fluid boiling. Keeping a constant speed by riding the brakes can cause heat fade.

Uphill, the biggest issue is engine and trans temp. Not lugging the engine can help this. I would use a good cooling system cleaner and Water Wetter. Turn off air conditioning when climbing. Test the thermal fan clutch by listening for it to roar on startup and for the first block or two. If it doesn't do that, it might need replacement. Genuine GM only.

I would flush new trans fluid into it. An aftermarket trans cooler might be a good idea, although your Barth is not terribly heavy. A trans temp gauge will tell you.

Put some Red Line Fuel System Cleaner in the first tank or two. Quadrajets can get stuck power pistons as they sit. Change the filter in the carb inlet and in the fuel line underneath the coach somewhere near the middle. Check the flex line between the frame and the fuel pump. These are often neglected and can start a fire. Look for fuel leakage underneath the carb. Qjets have a plug under there that can leak. Check the upper radiator hose for softness where it joins the engine. There is a short hose from the top of the water pump to the intake manifold that is often neglected, so check it.

This in not a comprehensive list, but just off the top of my head. I'm sure others will add to it.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brake to 5 mph below it. Repeat. This will prevent heat fade. Keeping a constant speed with the brakes can cause heat fade.

STAB the brake pedal. Never RIDE the brakes.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Also manually downshift. Replace all the belts, as you probably have a Hydroboost system, where loss of the power steering pump loses brake assist and power steering.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/14
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
If it were my Barth I would put cross drilled and slotted rotors for the front and some nice ceramic pads. Pack the wheel bearings with some Mobile 1 Synthetic grease. Change the brake fluid and properly check and adjust rear drums. Brake lines are also very inexpensive and have a tendency to look fine but collapse when used if old. Money well spent.

I would replace the Quadra Jet with an electronic choke Edelbrock 650cc or bigger for the 454. Next I would check the distributer springs and internals as they have a lot to do with power. Then time properly and set air fuel mixture. Replacement HEI is very inexpensive. Ohm wires and check for vacuum leaks. Expand the gap in the plugs by a half tic and clean.

But that's just where I would start.

Cheers and happy Barthin'

Meric

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post