Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Winter and Diesel
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Winter and Diesel
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted
In the tractors we switched to winter blend if we were going to use in the winter. This was a late fall ritual. You knew when the fuel guy knew everyone knew what to do.

Anything I need to do with or about my fuel before we hit the deep freeze.

I have tank as full as I can with out some seepage that I will try and address next year. One thing at a time.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
Most, if not all, diesel pumps switch to winter blend in the north. I use an anti-gel product in my tractor and standby generator and have never had a gel problem down to -40F, so will add the same to the coach. You can also add some K-1 to the tank to lighten up the diesel if you aren't going to draw down the tank to fill with winter blend.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The best time to add an additive is before you fill it up. Second best would be while driving it down the road. If all you do is dump additive in the tank without moving it, you'll have a higher concentration in one spot. You need to get the additives circulated down the lines and into the filters for it to be effective.

I use FPPF products for my additive package. But, stuff like Howes and several other brands are ok too.

Fuel lines that have a droop in them inevitably also has water in the lowest point. This is more pronounced on fatter diameter hoses. Once the temp drops the moisture will crystallize. Prolonged use of additives just before winter and the road movement will insure that any moisture in the lines, fuel filters and tanks will be minimized. But, just in case, don't start up your coach unless you absolutely must if the temps are less than 20°.

Have you drained the moisture out of your airtanks too? Too many times people overlook this basic maintenance item and wind up freezing their air system in the winter months.

Do you plan on using your coach in cold weather or just storing it?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you drained the moisture out of your airtanks too? Too many times people overlook this basic maintenance item and wind up freezing their air system in the winter months.

I've been told by experienced mechanics that the purpose of the automatic air releases on air brake systems is to get rid of condensate, but that it still is proper maintenance to drain the tanks from time to time. I don't get moisture in my coach tanks like my shop compressor tanks, which I have to drain frequently or risk rusting out the tanks. Is it correct that the automatic releases on air brake systems purge most of the moisture?

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Castner:
Is it correct that the automatic releases on air brake systems purge most of the moisture?
It is true, if they're working as intended.

I take it by your answer that you have auto bleeders at each tank? Do you have an airdryer?

Proper maintenance would be to vent the tanks whenever you change your oil. You'll never know if the auto system is working unless you check this at regular intervals.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use FPPF products for my additive package. But, stuff like Howes and several other brands are ok too.

Do you plan on using your coach in cold weather or just storing it?

I have been using an additive for all fills since I went to Yuma to pick DBarth up. I have added along with a semi-synthetic 2 cycle oil at every fill after running the tank close to empty. I will have to look what additive I have been using. I will also research FPPF and see if it is something to use in the future.

I did try and drain air tanks and found no moisture. Checked the air dryer and it seems to be working well.

Seeing as DBarth doesn't like to engage gear when below 40 degrees I do not plan on moving it from it's spot until spring. I have it parked next to my shed so I will have easy winter access unless we get totally buried this winter under snow. Might make one last run to town to top off with winter blend premium Roadmaster Cenex fuel. Cenex is our Midwestern area Fuel.

I am toying with a possible purchase of a cover. Any suggestions pro or con. If pro what type?

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am toying with a possible purchase of a cover. Any suggestions pro or con. If pro what type?

That's a good question about covers. I have seen covers for Class As advertised on the internet in the $350-400 range. Might be difficult to put on and take off.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone,

This will be Tonka's 2nd boring Minnesota winter in hibernation. Both years I added Howe's Lubricator Diesel Treat (anti-gel)at the last fill up with No. 2 Diesel. It was what the truck stop had. I also ran the gen about an hour on the way to her winter quarters just to cirulate everything. She just sits in her cave waiting for spring but I add the Howes on the off chance I'd need to move her for some reason (escape to a warmer clime) when it's below freezing.

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
I'd like a good breathable cover too but for spring to cut down on huge mess the seeds and pollen make when she's parked under the oak trees in our driveway.

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Tonka you would think being the closest active Minnesotan Barths we would have had a mini GTG. I am parked out in the open avoiding my oaks. Where you putting her inside for the winter? I have not found any place high enough that didn't want to much $$$$$$

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Hi Dana,

I missed meeting you when you were in Excelsior last summer. We'll have to try again for a mine GTG next year.

She's in storage now. Had her in an equipment shed last year but managed to get her stuck up to the rear axel in gumbo clay getting out in the spring but had to find new digs this year anyway as the lease holder passed away. Hard finding places for anything that tall. and everything around here is really expensive. Bit the bullet and put her in a garage unit until April. If you get up this way let me know and I'll introduce you.

Otherwise we'll see if we can meet up next summer.

Wally

Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I will be up Ice fishing / Ice Drinking some day in February. A bunch of my friends from the marketing for the Minnesota teams and other companies around the state get together on Minnetonka at least twice a year. We usually bug out mid afternoon to miss the traffic. Lets try and get together. I'll let you know when I know the date.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Dana,

Let me know when you'll be in town and call me if you'll have time to get together.

Tonka's about a half hour away if you want to meet her.

Thanks,
Wally