Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Electrical Questions
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electrical Questions
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Boonton Jim
posted
Let me preface this with "I've owned my '85 Regal for only a week so this may be a dumb question". Is there master cutoff swift for the cabin electrical devices? I took the coach to it's first tailgate last weekend. The generator had been sitting for a while and the carb probably got varnished since I could get it started but it wouldn't remain running. I have since cleaned the carbs and replaced the fuel line and it now runs fine. Anyway, last weekend all of the interior lights, or most anyway, seemed to work fine. I assume they were running off of the two new house batteries. The batteries should still be fully charged because they start the generator easily. Nothing in the house now seems to work either with the generator running, not running, or just the engine running. Any suggestions?

1985 25' Regal 454

Posts: 59 | Location: Boonton, NJ | Member Since: 09-26-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Jim, if you have " shore off gen switch" make sure it is in shore when plugged in. Make sure your main breaker is then turned on. I set my shore-gen switch first to where I need it before pluging in or fireing up the gen. If I have the gen already running or already plugged in I set my main breaker off,position my selector switch then turn my main breaker back on. This prevent any arcing in my selector switch. Selector switches are expensive. Also have heavy loads (AC, electric heater, ect ) turned off.

On some coaches you have to plug the gen in. Same rules as above still should be used.

You should also have a disconnect for your 12v system. There is a chance that your gen is being started with your chassie battery.

An inexpensive volt meter will tell you a lot.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Boonton Jim
posted Hide Post
Apparently it was a dumb question. It was the previously hidden shore-gen switch. It looked like there was a compartment below the couch but until this am I was unable to figure how to open it. What was surpising is that after the lights wouldn't work last night I went out for a few hours and when I returned several lights which I must have turned on were glowing brightly. Is OFF the proper setting when you want to run off of the house batteries?

1985 25' Regal 454

Posts: 59 | Location: Boonton, NJ | Member Since: 09-26-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
The only dumb question is the one not asked. If turning your shore power on brought your light back on I have to assume you ran your house batteries dead. Never run your house batteries below 50%. There is much info on batteries use and maintance on this site.

Leaving switch in shore position is best. This will let your converter/charger to keep your batteries up. You will run off you batteries when not plugged in.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post