Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Electrical WIRES
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electrical WIRES
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of ryegal
posted
Hi all I will try to explain explain my issue as best I can.My Barth a 1975 class C I was driving when I had 2 backfires, at first I thought it was a tire. It lost power then stopped. Had it towed to my sons. My grandson said he could fix it. I was leary as my Barth is my baby and my home. then he decided to give it a big overhaul as I was planning a long trip. My son assured me he could do it. after he got it all taken a part he walked out on it. So after having a friend look at it who could of done it easy, he said he couldn't do it as many of the parts and bolts and just about everything was missing oh yes and grandson was gone At this time my best friend of 48 years died of cancer I was her caretaker along with hospice.then my son had to have 4 bypass surgery 4-5 days in hospital which lasted 20 days as he got a staff infection and is still dealing with that.I finally found a shop that would fix the Barth.today he found a group of wires that come from the back of the coach that should connect to a connector at the Back of the motor...they were cut. I have no idea what those wire are do any of you know ??? the Mechanic said he can fix the motor but not electrical stuff. Please be gentle with me I am at the end of my rope.If you can help thank you. I have learned the hard way to never let just anyone work on it even family. I cannot explain the deep pain this has caused.

Proud owner of a 1975 classic class C

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
OMG
I do not use the term lightly -- almost never.
You've really been hammered with tragedy and disappointments.
The electrical scenario is difficult to understand without actually seeing it. cannot understand how harness got cut. Whatever it is, I doubt it is unique to the Class C or cab/chassis layout. So, others with a similar vintage Chevy V8 might have an idea from what you have described. I hope so.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
OMG
I do not use the term lightly -- almost never.
You've really been hammered with tragedy and disappointments.
The electrical scenario is difficult to understand without actually seeing it. cannot understand how harness got cut. Whatever it is, I doubt it is unique to the Class C or cab/chassis layout. So, others with a similar vintage Chevy V8 might have an idea from what you have described. I hope so.

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hang in there girl. What a mess. Sounds like a lot of stress and anxiety…

We can probably find a wiring diagram for the GM stuff. I have the stuff for 80's Regals but not the same as yours.

Is there anyone who knows what chassis, engine,etc were used in the 70's class C. I'm guessing a 400 engine…

Get the mechanical stuff on the way, the electrical is not that bad if we can get the documents, we'll see.

Take care of yourself, be well.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much!!! For those who know me here they know how much my Barth means to me . I think I can help it is a chevy van. it is a 350 4 barrel carb.

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
check these out: http://www.carsdirect.com/car-...ing-you-need-to-know

http://www.enginefacts.com/chevrolet305.php

https://images.search.yahoo.co...&ei=UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a very useful site with lots of GM stuff.

Complete diagrams for 73-87 can be found here:

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks....ex.php?topic=11766.0

These are the ones most likely to help:

Keep us posted. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
WAY TO GO, Steve
U dah Man

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how far you are into the engine rebuild but you may want to look into a short block or a commercially rebuilt engine. Chevy 350 engines are very common.

Your guy will still need to install the engine but when you consider parts, time and money the rebuilt engine may be the easiest, quickest option. hmm

Keep us posted. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
ryegal. can you post some pics of cut wires. As an owner of a 76 class C Barth I can try to locate them on mine and help you in reconnections. I have a factory manual for the G30 that should help also.

as a member of this sight you know that were here to help you if we can. If you can give us better info on what is cut we will do our best to help you fix your problem.

I have been impressed with your post over the past on full timing out of your Class C. Back in the mid 80's I lived out of a 21' Class C for 6 months. It was defiantly an experience.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
I have found a good reliable shop and my Barth is being towed there today will keep you all posted. Thank you all for all your wonderful help and support. Most of all thank you for being here.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I hope it all works out well!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
On an older truck chassis the only functions of wires leading to the rear are:
Fuel gauge sender;
Lights (stop, turn, backup and license plate)
Power from the alternator to the dc distribution box for the MH circuits
Power to supply any generator.
If you can operate the lights and appliances inside the MH then you may have only lost exterior lights. Turn on stuff with only battery power and see what works. Record the color wires and trace them. Then see what does not work and try to trace them also. You can cut the harness supports and clamps and take it apart without disassembling or disconnecting anything.
It is possible to find aftermarket main harnesses for GM trucks or you can simply run new wires, although that will take some effort.
Lastly you can call a community college near you, explain your problems and ask if they will consider using the vehicle for class work and hands on training during their courses. Some do vehicle repairs for the cost of the items they have to buy.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for all your knowledge. I'am 71 and before this not much knowledge of the workings under the hood. but I do now.but not enough to fix it. there is a lot more than just the wiring so I had it towed to a reliable garage and will know more Monday.Thank you all. I'am so glad you are all here. thank you