Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Carrying Capacity?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Carrying Capacity?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Does anyone know what the carrying capacity of a 1988 33' Regal SE is?

Posts: 42 | Location: Loudon, TN, United States | Member Since: 12-23-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Hello, and welcome!

Got a picture?

Does yours still have the little tag somewhere inside near the driver on the sidewall? Perhaps someone who owns your year and model will have an exact location. Do you have the operating manual from Chevrolet? On my 84 SE, the Barth tag repeats the Chevrolet figure. For some reason, probably bureaucratic, the added load carrying capacity of the tag axle is not figured in to the Barth tag. The tag axle on mine has a capacity of 4500 lbs. So you would add 4500 to the load capacity in the owner's handbook.

Lots of motor homes are overweight. Just be sure that your tires or wheels are not overloaded. Get a load/inflation chart from your tire manufacturer. Or use a generic chart from Tire Guide at your tire guy. The tires are marked on the sidewalls, and the wheels are stamped on the rim for maximum pressure. Look hard. Yours are probably 95 lbs.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
What does the 'SE' stand for.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I believe it is Special Edition. The Regal SE was a tag axle coach. I have a 30 tag, which I believe is an SE, but most were 32 or 34. Measured without bumpers or bumper aprons, I believe.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I this is just another one of those questions that will have to wait. I can't see the tag, 'cause I haven't got the Regal yet.

Posts: 42 | Location: Loudon, TN, United States | Member Since: 12-23-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1988 33' with tag has a tag showing 14400 plus 5000 for the tag axel So I'm assuming 19400#

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

[This message has been edited by kc_rusty (edited December 26, 2003).]

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Carl Flack>
posted
WELCOME!! I have the same model coach. As Bill H. stated, fastened to the front end of the
over head cabinet (over the driver's head) is
the manufacture's plate listing the information you want.I park "THE TOY" at a
RV storage yard,so give me till tomorrow and
I'll send you a copy of mine......carl

"THE TOY" 88 33'Regal Coach # 3448

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Carl Flack>
posted
Dave::::Send it to me in warm sunny Florida.
Can you picture everyone who has a "Tag Axle"
attending the Rally? What an awsome sight.
Bill H. could make all of us 1st class
mechanics........carl

THE TOY 88 33'Regal Coach #3448

posted Hide Post
Hi Loudon:Jay Teasley here,We live across the lake from Kingston,Tenn.It good to see someone from Tenn. on the site,with us.We have a 95 Barth Regency 34'300 hp.Welcome,If we can help holler: Cheers:Jay&Shelby

------------------
br2409

Posts: 61 | Location: Harriman,Tn.usa | Member Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Carl Flack>
posted
OK ! PPPITIFUL My Mfg. plate has
G.V.W.R. 14,500 5,200 Tag Axle
G.A.W.R.FRONT with 8Rx19.5D TIRES/
19.5x6.00 RIMS at 70 PSI COLD SINGLE

REAR 9840 with 8Rx19.5D TIRES/ 19.5x6.00 RIMS
at 70 PSI cold DUALS
Hope this helps. If you want a copy of this
plate, E-Mail me your address and I'll mail a
copy to you.........carl

88 33'Regal Coach # 3448

posted Hide Post
Bill H. how does your Barth ride?

I am picking ours up the middle of January and the maiden voyage will be approx 2150 miles.

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi pppitiful and welcome to the website. I have talked with Carl a few times by email and I think he has probably maintained this coach pretty well. However, I would double check all of your belts and hoses. I would perhaps go to a Napa and get an extra alternator belt and stash it somewhere. Make sure you keep an eagle eye on the temp gage. If a hose falls off you can ruin an engine in a quarter mile.

Check your oil two or three times on this trip until you get an idea of how much it uses. Travel with just enough water to flush the toilets and wash your hands. No need to fill them up at 8 lbs per gal. If you have air bags in the front and they are not automatically filled then park on a flat spot and uses a tape measure to measure the distance from the front pumper to the ground and then fill them to even things out. Or you can do what I do, (I like a stiff ride) fill them to 80-90 psi per side.

Best of luck and keep us up to date.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
"Bill H. how does your Barth ride?"

Golly, that's pretty hard to answer. The larger P30s have pretty solid ride. Not as rough as a Ford, though. Depending on the tires, they let you know about small road irregularities. I now have Bridgestones, which are a little harder than the M word, but do not make that annoying "pop, whop whop whop" sound as often. Despite the small road hardness, the P30 likes to wallow about. To avoid repeating, may I suggest doing a search of some of my old posts here? You can make your P30 pretty stable. Any specific questions come up, ask away.

In addition to Dave's good advice on front bags, carry 45 lbs in the tag bags.

posted Hide Post
Dave - please send me a copy of the pdf file - really interested in seeing the options.

thanks

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post