Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wonky gauges
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wonky gauges
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
On a long trip to Canada, my tach, speedometer and tranny temp/turbo/ext gauge stopped working. Inturned the engine off and restarted and things were fine. Then it happened again and I noticed when I shut the engine off, the light for the combination gauge stayed on. Could this be a sticky relay? Two one the dash were very war, to the touch. Thanks, richard

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a bad connector; although my gauges are GM, mine quit working when the connector detached from the panel.

As you suspect, however, it could also be a bad relay or fuse.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Richard, check your grounds in the front section. Turn your lights on and see if that completes the ground.

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I always run with my lights on.

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Richard, another suggestion could be your start key switch. I replaced mine, just you had to jiggle it to start the engine. Another rig I had had nothing working at all sometimes when you started it. Jiggle the it and it made contact.
If you remember General Motors had a recall on this problem. Owners were warned to not have multiple keys on the ring that starts the vehicle. Do you have a heavy key ring bouncing town the highway when you drive your BaRTH?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Just the single key

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I think there is much more to this problem. Gauges do not normally "freeze"!If there is a loss of ground or power, they will generally go to zero, Sometimes if there is an intermittent, they will swing around, even from zero to full scale.

Richard when you said they "freeze" I am assuming that the gauges just stayed where they were at, no matter what you did as far as speed or RPM was concerned.

Both the speedometer and the tach gets it's input from the MD3060 trans controller. This is not a DC level but a pulse train. The pulse train will vary according to the RPM and the speed. The pulse train is derived from the transducer signals from the input shaft and output shaft of the trans, it is almost impossible for that "freeze" condition to occur.

VDO gauges do not freeze if power is interrupted or turned off, they will go to zero.

If this happens again, watch the odometer to see if it is still recording distance.

Doesn't make any sense at all!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is good information in this topic. The topic name "Wonky Gauges" is going to leave it never to be found. Thanks ED for you thoughts and information. Your information makes logic to me. The topic "Wonky" will never ever be searched.

Rusty if you could add some searchable keywords to the topic, it will be most helpful as an archive when other members have gauge malfunctions. Otherwise no one will be searching for "Wonky", or "Monkey"

To all members: please post for future reference. Post your topic for fun like "Wonky", but add some keywords that will benefit everyone searching. I am adding this to the thread but cannot add to the topic. "Intermittent gauge function"

Our search feature is the best index we will ever have as a owners manual index for trouble shooting.

Kevin

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:

Rusty if you could add some searchable keywords to the topic, it will be most helpful as an archive when other members have gauge malfunctions. Otherwise no one will be searching for "Wonky", or "Monkey"
Kevin

Doesn't have to be Rusty. Whoever wrote the original posting can edit/delete at any time, including the thread title.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a good time to point out the 3 buttons right above the "Post A Reply" button, lower right hand corner of each posting.

1. They are a set of (") with a folder to quote the topic.
2. A pencil with an eraser.
3. Exclamation point.

Number 1 is for quoting the entire post that is in the box above. Then you can add your own comments.
Number 2 is the eraser for editing your posting. You will only find the eraser on something you have written. Editing your own post privilege, is earned with "Karma" points. In order to edit your title you must be in the first posting that you created and have the karma points.
Number 3 is for alerting the Captain and other Moderators of spam or something that does not belong here.

So if you have the Karma points Richard try the edit button on your first post. If you are unsuccessful there are other moderators who will be able to help.

Another note is to be sure of curser placement on each of the desired buttons. Otherwise you will be quoting when you are wanting to edit and editing when you are wanting to quote.