Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    compression release on diesel???
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

compression release on diesel???
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
re: any diesel powered vehicle- (if designed properly) comes with a "compression
release" lever or mechanism to hang the valves open,,,,

As my MCC is stillll at MCR.... please explain?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C...release_engine_brake

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Jake brake
Now I know! Thanks Tom

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The only engine, in a truck, that I'm aware of was the Cummins 855 Engine. These were in big rig trucks that were 35+ years old. They were probably in on other engine makes, but I'm not familiar with them.

You would pull a mechanic lever and then crank the engine over. Because the valves were held open, the engine had no compression and could turn over at a good clip. Once spinning, you would release the lever and the engine would fire off and start up. Great for cold weather ignition.

I know they were also used on some earlier era, larger displacement engine found in motorcycles and trikes. I believe that the engines in piston aircraft, the ones that used the shotgun blasting caps to start, also had compression release levers on them too. Seeing that we have a few aircraft enthusiast on our boards, perhaps they would know.

But the statement... "any diesel powered vehicle- (if designed properly) comes with a "compression release" lever or mechanism to hang the valves open" I would have issue with. That's like saying, "Any properly designed car should have an AM Radio"

Tom's linkage to an exhaust brake is still technically a "Compression Release Device" but in reality it causes compression in an engine and then releases it at a different time so there is no power stroke. These "Engine Brakes" used oil galleries to funnel oil psi to an electric tappet type of piston that held the exhaust valves open. This makes the engine into a big air compressor. As far as I know, they never had a lever or mechanism to hang the valves open" like you described.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know they were used on some earlier era, larger displacement engine found in motorcycles and trikes.

Quite a few of my vintage two stroke bikes through the years had compression release levers. Because two strokes fire on each piston stroke, they can be difficult to kick start compared to a four stroke where you can get the engine spinning if the kick lever is positioned properly. At some point the manufacturers built the compression release into the kick start (or electric start) to make it more user friendly.

On a two stroke the compression release is nothing more than a pop off cylinder valve controlled by a cable. It was really fun when you forgot to pull the release on a 450/500cc two stroke. The result of you effort was often launching your body off the bike when the kick lever refused to budge and you were kicking with all your might. I once left my bike in the middle of a raging spring stream propped up on a rock while I retreated to the bank to rest. It was a comical sight with the bike in the middle of the torrent, riderless, water spraying five feet high off the front tire! Meanwhile, I was fighting back a heart attack laying exhausted on the muddy river bank. And you though RVers had all the fun ROTFLMAO

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
No truck diesels that I remember. If I remember correctly the old CAT D8 had a gas engine to start the big engine.

This goes back 50+ years but if memory serves me

Start the gas engine.

Pull the compression release on the diesel
through clutch from little gas engine to biggy diesel

When biggy diesel is spinning nicely push the compression release back in and if you are lucky you the big engine starts before the little engine dies.

+

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Gary, I have a friend with a JD 70 tractor that has a little 4 cylinder gas pony motor to start the diesel engine. It was one of the few diesels that would start in the cold weather. If the pony motor would start you had all the cranking power you needed.

I don't remember the 70 having compression release. His JD A did but it was a gasser. You could always count on the Johnny Popper to start no matter what the weather. It amazed me that a crank started tractor built in the 30's could be such a reliable machine.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would seem to me that a compression release on a diesel would only be to get it spinning. Since it uses compression to ignite the air/fuel mixture, it would need to compress to finally start.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the dark ages when i first started running equipment i ran a few that had the pony motor or the compression release on them. Also ran one that had a hand crank like a model T. Not a lot of fun trying to start that one in cold weather. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:

Quite a few of my vintage two stroke bikes through the years had compression release levers.

A lot of four stroke singles had them, too. To ease the piston just past TDC on the compression stroke to get the full flywheel effect from the kick. A manual spark retard also helped, lessening the chance of kickback.

quote:
Because two strokes fire on each piston stroke, they can be difficult to kick start.

I had a coupla hot two strokes that would kick back and start up backwards if the kick was not sufficiently vigorous. The first time this happened was a little dramatic. I learned by the sound and roughness that it was running backward and avoided drama from then on. I learned to ride my Husky 400 backward just as a stunt. Never learned to turn, though. Frowner

quote:

On a two stroke the compression release is nothing more than a pop off cylinder valve controlled by a cable.

On the four strokes, it just put some pressure on the exhaust valve to open it a little.

quote:
It was really fun when you forgot to pull the release on a 450/500cc two stroke. The result of you effort was often launching your body off the bike when the kick lever refused to budge and you were kicking with all your might.

My Husky 400 did not have a CR, but my bulk and those wonderful Full Bore boots always convinced it to turn over and fire.

I had a friend with a DBD34 who did not use the compression release properly, and ended up with a broken foot. Another friend and I used to practice starting his Matchless 500 with one hand. We both won a lot of beers doing that.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a CR500 that put a hole through my boots. Don't know if it broke my foot, but there were weeks I couldn't ride it because I was too sore to start it. I would switch foots to spread the pain. Hard starting off side!

Comparatively, my KTM 300 is almost the same HP, 1/3 less weight, and starts on one mild kick every time. This is when technology works!!!

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
Hard starting off side!

When my right knee, foot or ankle was acting up, I would attempt to use the left foot to start a RH kick bike. Never got the hang of it. Dropped the bike a few times. Frowner

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I had an OK Cub diesel that had adustable compression ratio. Lower it for starting, then adjust it for smooth running.