Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Winterizing
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Winterizing
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Don't take it personally that no one really responded to the cover question. FYI, I have yet to see many folks use one. So, your question may be directed to a small audience. Especially when you consider how many Barth folks head to FLA in the winter with their units and never worry about the winter.

Personally, this is the first year that I would consider it. I've had the priviledge to keep it in a heated warehouse for the past few years. Prior to that, it was always outside (previous owner)but always in a position that a buidling blocked the wind. But you can do some things to help your situation. Look for natural or man made weather blocks such as buildings, other coaches, dirt embankments, etc. to keep the wind from hitting your unit directly. That should reduce some of the effects of the weather. I have always worried that if the cover could move too much, then it could cause abraision problems.

Any way, that's my two cents worth.

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I bought a soft cover off of Ebay a year ago. My problem is that I am always going out there for one reason or another. A CD I left in there or for some other reason. I have never used it. I also think my neighbors are happy that I haven't used it for the looks in the neighborhood.

One thing that I have read a number of places is that you should never use any of that blue or green tarp material. Apparently it is very abrasive and will leave scratches on the finish.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
I bypass the hot water heater, the auto fill valve and remove the ice maker and disconnect and plug the line feeding the water filter that feeds the valve at the sink and ice maker. It takes about four gallons of antifreeze to fill the entire system. I let a fair amount run thought the faucets shower and toilets to get some in the holding tanks and the traps in the drains. we had a really cold winter here in Massachusetts last year. I had no problem with freezing this spring. With the really cold climate in Mass, I don't trust simply blowing out the lines, however many folks get by quite well by doing it.

I also cover my coach since it will sit out all winter. I use a Calmark cover and wrote a lengthy post on it recently. Do a search on this site on Calmark covers and you should find it.

------------------
Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I just blow mine out, I have a special flexible tube attached just inside the coach on the city water inlet and it has a valve stem on it. I hook my big compressor up to it at 40 psi. I leave the kitchen fawcet open until there is not more water coming out then I do the same to all faucets and toilet. I also have a little valve on my hot water heater, I open that until no water comes out. Then I open them all, (you can feel the air coming out everywhere) and I walk away for about an hour. I then pour a bunch of antifreeze in the traps. Why would I ever have a problem with that. Been doing that here in Minnesota for 5 years with not problems at all...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
The problem with blowing them out is if your in a rush. There is always the posibility that some water can collect in the low points. Like I said years back... take the time to make sure no more water is comming out and you won't have the problem.

The is some argument in useing the pink stuff to lubricate the waterpump though. I found I had a hard time geeting the pink stink out of the water system when I tried it.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I never have my compressor where I have my camper or my boat so I have relied on using my shop vac. Never worry about pressure never worry about time on suction. With the cruiser there are two engines plus the genset, toilet, AC, shower, galley, water heater with engine heat exchange, head and deck spigot.
I open the source end, put the shop vac on the furthest valve and work on closing seacocks and winterizing them. When I get this done, I move to the next valve etc. Oh the heater has been bypassed by this point and the heater is draining and will get the vac treatment. The exchange side gets vaccumed then one hose gets the vac and the other gets pink. When the pink gets picked up I pull the hose out of the pink.
The water tank is dry by now, the expansion tank is out of the loop, the pump is put back in line and 3 gallons of pink are used one gallon at a time. Put a bottle in the tank, turn on the pump with the furthest valve open and close it when the pink shows, work your way back adding pink as necessay. When finished vac the system, vac the hot water heater and have an adult beverage while contemplating the work ahead with the engines, AC, head, and genny.
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post