Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Coleman furnace documents
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Coleman furnace documents
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Bob Kopicki
posted
Hello,

I'm looking for an owner/operation/part manual for a Coleman furnace. Mine is a Model 9230 from 1972. It's working great right now but I sure would like to get a copy before I need one.

I have contacted Coleman, conducted an internet search and searched several forums for anything in writing about this furnace with Zero success.

Anything is appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob Kopicki

Posts: 21 | Location: Massillon, Ohio | Member Since: 07-10-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think you'll need to plan on a replacement with another brand, if it fails. Fortunately, aftermarket replacements should fit into the same space, but furnaces are rarely placed where they're easy to work on.

I've resized and uploaded to the Barth Photobucket; we don't encourage attachments as they take up expensive website space.

If you have any images to post in the future, please resize to max 8" @72 ppi and send to me. Please note that, being a Barth owner, I'm frequently on the road with diminished 'Net capability, and sometimes can't edit image attachments other than to delete to save space.

And while we welcome folks with other brand RVs, all of us want to adhere to the Terms of Service. BTW, your image attachment is NOT a violation of the ToS, but I invite your attention to it.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob Kopicki
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Sorry about the size of the picture. I actually resized and posted a picture on a different thread but forgot to resize this one. Again my apologies.

I did read the TOS when I originally signed up to this forum, as far as I know I have not violated any of the posted terms.

This is also the second time someone has pointed out that I'm a SOB or NAB. Is this somehow relevant to Coleman furnaces or Detroit engines? From my searches of this site I have found that there are people with Barth's that have experience with equipment of this type and vintage and they haven't seemed to mind sharing their knowledge and experience even though I'm a SOB.

By the way, many furnaces use similar parts. Unless something rusts through and makes it unsafe I'm pretty sure I'd rather keep my bus original instead of replacing the furnace.

I'd just like to know if someone might have any information on Coleman furnaces.

Thank you,

Bob

Posts: 21 | Location: Massillon, Ohio | Member Since: 07-10-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
We had a Sportscoach back in the early 90s with a colemann. They were already out of business in the early 80s and no parts available.

Could find no replacement parts and stuff from other brands did not fit. Finally gave up and a new furnace.

We have had MHs since 1978 and seen it all I think.

Good luck.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is also the second time someone has pointed out that I'm a SOB or NAB. Is this somehow relevant to Coleman furnaces or Detroit engines?

"Some Other Brand" status is rarely relevant to issues NAB owners have. Sometimes even having a Barth doesn't mean folks have an identical coach. "No two Barths are the same." A recent example is the water pump issue one member was having: Three 30' Breakaways, with the pump in a different location on each.

So ask whatever you need to, and don't worry about it; we all have vintage coaches.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Kopicki:

This is also the second time someone has pointed out that I'm a SOB or NAB. Is this somehow relevant to Coleman furnaces or Detroit engines? From my searches of this site I have found that there are people with Barth's that have experience with equipment of this type and vintage and they haven't seemed to mind sharing their knowledge and experience even though I'm a SOB.

By the way, many furnaces use similar parts. Unless something rusts through and makes it unsafe I'm pretty sure I'd rather keep my bus original instead of replacing the furnace.

Bob

As you point out, many coaches of different makes have similar appliances, I don't think the make of the coach matters, at least not to me.

As you also stated, many furnaces share parts. Particularly with the older non electronic pilot style I'm sure you can mix valves, controls, etc. if you know what you're doing.

Some people are very wary of propane in general, if you're not sure get a new one or have a professional rebuild the old one. It ain't rocket science, though. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob Kopicki
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your understanding. We own a Newell and since each was custom built no two Newell's are alike either. That said, there were not too many suppliers for RV's in the '60s and '70s so most of us will have seen Coleman furnaces and air conditioners, Dometic fridges and so on.

I've got my furnace working fine and propane doesn't intimidate me at all. I am putting together a manual for our bus and I would like to find some type of documentation for the Coleman furnace that we have....it's the only system left that I haven't been able to provide a manual for. It's like this one never existed. Even internet searches turn up empty, so I was hoping someone here might have one laying around that they could scan/copy.

Thanks again!!!

Bob