Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cat has a problem
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cat has a problem
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
Ok all you Cat guys, after about 3hrs I loose the boost and no power up hills. All pressures and temps are fine. New fuel filter. It did this to me on my trip from Ky, We couldn't find anything. When it sits overnight it gets it back. Heat related? We are at a loss. Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Have you been to: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CATRVCLUB/

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No but I just joined thank you very much. Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn't respond sooner - I haven't been keeping up with the forum...

If you have an electric shutdown plunger I would check that. If it is an air shutdown plunger then all should be good. The electric plunger retracts with key on power. If the plunger is getting weak it will slightly apply and keep the governor from going to full power.

Roadway Express had a bunch of Ford Tractors with the 3208T and 3208NA cat in them. If drivers complained of low power after running it for awhile, and all others suspects had alibis, we would change out the Shutdown Plunger - this usually cured the problem.

Have you been following the thread on the lower sulfur diesel fuel? This could also be an indication of impending injection pump failure.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry too Bill, I've been on the road. I have an air shut down. We are about to the point of yanking off the pump and rebuilding it. We have also replaced all fuel lines installed a racor and checked the pickup in the fuel tank. We just thought of cracking the return line to make sure it is acutally returning fuel.Thanks for in info. Tom

posted Hide Post
I have got to tell you when Bill tells you something about a Cat you better listen. I do have a electric shut down, replaced it today, took it for a ride. If you have ever been over the Sky Way bridge here in St Pete Fl you will understand me being so happy to only loose 8 mph going over and only 6 mph on the way back. Three Cheers for Bill. Thanks again Bill. Tom

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Wink You're welcome. I am glad you posted the outcome.

Most any diesel engine with an injector pump can suffer from low power because of a weak shutdown solenoid. The solenoid does not shut off the fuel. It turns the governor off thru a mechanical linkage inside the injector pump.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post