Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Restraint for front door.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Restraint for front door.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
By Breakaway comes with a front door and a screen which is not installed yet. I have all the pieces but the screen needs to be replaced. To restrain the door from slamming into the coach body, there is a single web strap. The door has slammed so many times it came with a rough spoot next to the windshield and the metal where the strap is attached to the Barth is bent out. Seems a poor way of doing things for such a high end coach. I am wondering even how that will work with the screen door back in.

Any ideas here? Has anyone with a screen door on a front entrance Breakaway or other model done anything to improve this? I did notice one Barth at the GTG with two straps but it did not have a screen door.

Tom Taylor 94 Breakaway XL

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The PO of my coach put in a lift strut which dampens the motion. The strap is still the stop. I don't have a screen door.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
You are lucky. I didn't know a screen door could be installed on a front entrance Barth.........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carl, one of the things I was looking for at the GTG was door configurations. The casing around the door is different for one with a screen door from the factory versus one without. The one without actually seals better.

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Tom: We hope you are coming to the Hillbourgh GTG
in December. It's a ball.......................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carl, I have registered and plan to be there. Looking forward to seeing you and the others again.

Tom Taylor

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here's the lift strut:

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty: It appears the picture disappeared.

Tom Taylor

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom taylor:
Rusty: It appears the picture disappeared.

Tom Taylor
I see it Tom, it's there. Computer

If you have a PC hit your F5 key to refresh

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see it now. This will not work with a screen door. I do remember seeing a Barth at the GTG with a screen door and would be interested how that set up works as to controlling the door. I am trying to envision how even the strap will work with that door in place. It was in parts when I bought the Breakaway but I do plan to put it back in working order as I have all the pieces and the hinges are on the door frame.

Tom Taylor
94 Breakaway

posted Hide Post
Rusty,

This is a great solution! Can you provide us some measurements for the strut, please. Need overall length, open. Outer end to end is fine. and the strut tube length with end, the black part. I have the nylon seatbelt strap like yours shows in the upper rt corner of the picture and if the wind catches the door it will over extend allowing the mirror to hit the body. Thanks, Brian

Brian and Janet
'93 Regency 36 ft
Cummins 8.3, Allison 6 speed, diesel genset, 100 gal. tank... OUCH$$$
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis

Posts: 10 | Location: Simpleville, South Kakalaki | Member Since: 07-28-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The strut is attached with ball mounts. The cylinder is 6¾" from mount center to the cylinder end. Extended, it's 12", measured between mount centers.

The PO made a mounting plate out of double ⅛" aluminum, to which the door mount is attached.

BTW, my door would hit the strut stops and sometimes dislodge it. The cause was that the mounts for the strap had loosened and the screw holes were wallowed out. I drilled out the holes and used plastic wall anchors to secure the mounts.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke