Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine Battery Charging
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine Battery Charging
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
I've kept my unit plugged into shore power when parked in my driveway. I tried to start it today and the coach battery wes dead - I held the AUX start switch down and started the engine. Question is - should the coach battery be charging when plugged into shore power.? If it is, where should I look?

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The shore power charges ONLY the house batteries. If you want to top off the engine battery use a trickle charger (WalMart, NAPA)on the engine battery and plug it into a 110v source. I use two trickle chargers and do not plug in the house converter (trickle charger $25, house converter $200+).

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
On our 1973 25 footer there is a black box up front on the driver side that splits the charge from the charger between both batteries. Now I have yet to plug in the shore power, we have only had the Barth a short time. For all I know this works off the alternator but I do not think so.

So here is another wrinkle and a question. Anyone that knows about these things, HELP.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Tim, that is probably an isolator. I guess you could trace the input wire to be sure. Power goes in from the alternator, and goes out through one diode to the chassis battery and through another diode to the coach battery. That is, each diode has its cathode connected to the alternator ant the cathode connected to the battery it charges. Its function is to allow both to be charged by the alternator, and to allow the coach battery to be discharged without discharging the chassis battery. Its drawback is that it drops the voltage by about .7 volt, so you never quite get a full charge from the alternator.

There is a way to rewire your aux start relay to allow full charging voltage to reach the coach and chassis batteries from the alternator. I will post it if anyone is interested.

Those who use the isolator and want to keep both batts up while sitting can connect one charger to the "ALT" terminal of the isolator. This method will have the previously mentioned .7 volt drop, but will keep the battery from going flat if well charged before parking. If you have a Sears automatic charger that has both starting battery and deep cycle settings, you can fully charge each battery individually, then connect the charger to the alt terminal on the isolator. They are good little chargers for the money, and they are often on sale.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited September 18, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The original converter in my Barth would keep a good battery up, but would not charge a low battery.

A battery likes to have 13.2 volts when sitting.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Thank you for the information. As you so often do, you have provided an answer I need and added some good learning. I read your post over the weekend but did not answer because there was much to do on the coach and daylight was passing far too fast.

I am doing belts and alternator. Working on a 1973 mechanical device that has been maintained by people that are driven by time, that is their performance is based on completing a job in a profitable way, is interesting. I have drilled out three broken bolts and run a chaser tap down countless holes. The coach is slowly moving to a place where it will be easy to maintain but I see an interesting and long road ahead.

Oh yea, PB Rust buster, I cannot thank you enough for telling me about that stuff.

Best Regards:

Tim

P.S. A word to people that may think I am not having a good time, I am having the time of my life; I purchased the coach knowing I was starting with good bones and would by necessity or desire be working on or changing absolutely everything. We as humans are all artists and doing things like rebuilding our Barth is my artistic outlet.

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
What a great attitude! I'm on board the same train and I'm lovin' it.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post