Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Battery charging
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Battery charging
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Our 85 Regal has a converter that charges the house batteries. It works great. But I guess that it only charges the house batteries. We also have a rocker switch on the dash that connects the house batteries to the engine batteries if they need an assist in starting the engine. It's the type of switch that when you press it 'on' it stays on. My son-in-law told Tere that we should always leave this switch in the 'on' position because then the converter would keep the engine and house batteries charged. Right or Wrong?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/10
Picture of kokoken
posted Hide Post
quote:
o

Yes, I have that red rocker switch on my dash also but I don't know if house batteries can be charged thru the engine battery.. HELP

1979 24 footer

Posts: 65 | Location: Indiana | Member Since: 07-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
I have the same switch, but it is a momentary rocker switch, not maintained. Therefore, I could not do what you are suggesting unless I tape the switch in the closed position. I do not think this is the way to charge your chassis batteries, but I'm no expert. Your chassis batteries on your coach are no different then the battery in the vehicle you drive everyday. They are basically used to just start your coach and then they get replenished by your alternator. If your chassis batteries are drawn down in a few days while sitting, then you have a problem that needs attention. There would be some sort of draw on them that should not be. Mind you, most do not use their coach on a daily basis. So if you want to keep them up while sitting, use a battery tender.
kokoken---I will respond to your inquiry about battery tenders on your post....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
My switch is momentary also. When I camp for more than a couple days I plug my battery tender in on the engine battery to keep it charged. I use my radio and iPod quite a bit which runs off the engine battery.

I thought about getting a dual purpose battery for the engine but I don't know if it's really necessary.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Paralleling the batteries is good for charging, not so good for discharging. In particular, a chassis battery should not be subjected to deep discharge.

Except for starting. When I had dual batteries, I always paralleled for starting, just to get a more vigorous crank. .............Easier on the starter and very satisfying to hear that 502 roar into life almost instantaneously.

There is another use for the paralleling switch. .....On one occasion, the alternator failed, so I fired up the genset and finished the trip with the paralleling switch on and the genset charging both coach and chassis batteries.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
quote:
charge your chassis batteries

My chassis batteries and engine battery are in the same compartment. I made a jumper wire from a spare battery cable and two heavy-duty alligator clips. When I want to, I use this jumper wire.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post