Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    flooring
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

flooring
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of ryegal
posted
Hi all I want to put wood or vinal flooring in my Barth. It is a 21 ft class C 1975 I have the carpet out now and My rv person said I need to put in a sub flooring. I think the floor looks good ?please let me know your thoughts. Donna

Proud owner of a 1975 classic class C

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The question is, what does he mean by "subflooring"? That's probably what's already in there - it should be wood, if not, he's got a point.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
ryegal, you asked this question awhile back, & there were several answers, but I can't find the posts.

If your bare floors are plywood, & you use wood or laminate, you shouldn't need to add subflooring. For vinyl, it depends on how smooth your plywood is.

If your floors are like mine, the plywood is screwed to the frame, & the screws are driven below the surface, leaving holes. For vinyl sheet goods, or tile, any surface imperfection will eventually show through. At the very least, the screw holes need to be filled, & the surface sanded smooth.

Laminate, or wood parquet squares can go on top of plywood with little or no surface preparation. Vinyl will take a lot of prep. The surface needs to be really smooth.

I've suggested before, & I'll say it again, talk to the flooring person at Lowes or Home Depot. look at their products, & get their advice, but don't go for the hard pitch for the high-priced stuff. You can learn a lot by reading a book, too, & they have them at the stores.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryegal:
I want to put wood or vinal flooring in my Barth.
If your putting a vinyl floor in your Barth then you need to fill the holes and sand it smooth. When I did my vinyl floors I installed a subfloor of luan and used "Dash Patch" to fill in the joints and screw heads.

Below is a picture of a subfloor in my Barth.

If you notice you'll see several loose pieces of Luan sitting on top of the subfloor I just put down.

The picture below shows you a close up view of the step area. Notice how close the screws are on the wall. That's a lot of screws and may be considered overkill. That's how close I put the screws down on the floor.

You'll need to screw the Luan sub floor down in many spots - don't skimp with the screws. In addition to the joints each screw top needs to be filled with the "Dash Patch" and allowed to dry before installing the vinyl floor.

Vinyl flooring in the rolls is time consuming and will show any imperfections. The use of dash patch and sand paper will allow for a better finished job. The squares will show less imperfections but I've found shrinkage, dirt in the cracks and tearing to be easier with those squares.

Now if your putting down a wood floor it's less critical. High spots need to be leveled but little imperfections need not be filled in.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
ryegal (Donna) Click on "FIND" Type in Wood Flooring......now you 'll have a lot of info.Several months ago,I sent you an E-mail and several pictures of my flooring but I didn't get a repy..............

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post