Barthmobile Portal
To jump or charge?

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/7731039061

06-30-2005, 06:07 PM
Sloop John B
To jump or charge?
OK I seem to have left the Assc. switch on and now when I turn the key to start the Barth nothing.. Whats best, jump from the Pontiac, jump from house batteries or put it on the battery charge/5/10&50amp starter for a while first? No problem with a long extension cord as it is close to the house. I think a slow charge would be best. Right or wrong? Not in a hurry to move it. JKB
06-30-2005, 06:29 PM
DALE SMITH
I would check them for fluid levels, then throw on your charger. If they are REALLY DEAD it may take a few minutes before the gage shows much activity on the charger. At least that's the way my charger acts. I would not be afraid of putting on regular charge, but I doubt it will make much if any difference. JUST MY OPINION, and DOES NOT MEAN MY OPINION IS RIGHT.

I wish you well. Not the end of the world.
Dale
06-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Danny Z
While giving billh the respectful position of of answering the electronic questions, I'll throw in an often overlooked subject. Check the fluid levels of all the batteries before charging.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28
06-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Danny Z
Boy Dale, do geat minds think alike or do we just have too much time on our hands?

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28
06-30-2005, 07:40 PM
DALE SMITH
Two weeks ago I couldn't SPELL electical engineer,and NOW, I are one. Yes GREAT minds DO think alike. Just ask US....

Dale
07-01-2005, 02:38 AM
Sloop John B
Dale it least you can spell. In school I never got out of the first round of a spelling bee. I can only say without spell check I would not be able to do my job as a real estate appraiser. I also can not type worth a hoot. JKB
07-01-2005, 02:56 AM
davebowers
You guys don't have anything to worry about. When I was in Jr. High I did an appendectomy on a neighbor kid and that didn't turn out well either. Crap, surgery ain't easy. And, don't believe everything you hear. Those Gin-sou knives don't easily slice through everything...
07-01-2005, 03:00 AM
bill h
A slow charge from a charger is easier on the battery and alternator. The alternator works really hard to charge a run down battery. When you check the water in the batt, leave the caps off while it charges. Use a hydrometer to monitor progress.

The battery may or may not recover, so keep an eye on it for a while.
07-01-2005, 03:25 AM
Sloop John B
Thanks Billh I was waiting for your opinion.. I seem to remember something to add to water to keep surface of water covered to prolong life of battery??? JKB
07-01-2005, 04:28 AM
bill h
quote:
Originally posted by SLOOP JOHN B:
I seem to remember something to add to water to keep surface of water covered to prolong life of battery??? JKB

Below is a link to the posts on battery oil. A layer of oil on top of the electrolyte just keeps water from evaporating or boiling out. It will do nothing to prolong the life of a well treated battery, but does make it easier to maintain the battery well.

https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000525.html

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited July 01, 2005).]
07-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Danny Z
Thanks for that link bill. it should be a must read for everyone.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28
07-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Sloop John B
Good end of story. New Battery no cost as it was 9 months old and I did not buy it or have a rect. but they gave me a new one , no charge. JKB